2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2012 4:38 AM by nicola

How to make an automatic relookup in IWP without pressing a button?

nicola

Hi,

I have the following aim: In a database for Orders that a related to a special department I would like to update the Department name automatically when the department number is changed. This is easy in Filemaker Pro, the department name is a LOOKUP that updates whenever the department-ID is changed (its to choose from a dropdownlist.

Now I want to do this in IWP, but I do not like to have a save-button next to every department-ID.

What I did is this:

I defined a scripttrigger to the field department ID, saying "save record" when changing this field.

I defined a script which was set on the field itself saying nothing but: Go field department-ID, because the scripttrigger does not work if you do not enter the field with a script.

I was absolutley happy with it (working mainly on WINDOWS using Mozilla Firefox as a browser) but it all doesn´t work with Internet Explorer which is unfortunately highly used with my clients.

As soon as you put the script to enter the field you cannot even change the dropdownvalue anymore.

Quite a while ago FileMaker said to me, this was a known issue with the dropdowns and the InternetExplorer , even more diappointing that it has not been solved in FileMaker 12.

BUT MAYBE and this is the MAIN QUESTION: is there another way to get the same result: somehow submitting the change without a pressing a button?

A way that is working in Internet Explorer?

Pleeeaase someone say YES!

Nicola

• 1. Re: How to make an automatic relookup in IWP without pressing a button?
          CarstenLevin

Hi Nicola,

Sorry, but script triggers does not work with IWP.

And the same goes for automatic updating of calculated fields when a value is changed in one of the fields involved in the calculation.

Only a commit or another action that forces data to be sent to the server will result in an update.

So I am afraid that you will have to have some kind of an update button. It could be as simple as just letting the button do the commit.

If you want your user to keep focus to the field you could choose to attach a small script to the button: Committing and then go to field.

Maybe somebody else has a better advice, but I believe that this is as far as IWP goes, for now. Lets hope that script triggers and a lot of other more advanced features will find their way into IWP in a future version of FileMaker.

... if you where using CWP ... this would of course be possible to solve.

Best regards

Carsten

• 2. Re: How to make an automatic relookup in IWP without pressing a button?
            nicola

Hi Carsten,

I know it´s not generally supported by filemaker and that there are

limitations but what I am doing is suppoes to work.

See also the Document about Scripttriggers:

https://fmdev.filemaker.com/docs/DOC-1121?mkt_tok=3RkMMJWWfF9wsRogvqzPZKXonj

HpfsX67OQoW6CwlMI%2F0ER3fOvrPUfGjI4GRcpkI%2FqLAzICFpZo2FFeE%2ByQcYFL%2F%2Bc%

3D

BUT

1. as I described it it works absolutey beautifully in firefox, safari etc.

only Internet Explorer fails.

2. The problem is not the script trigger itself, but the Dropdown-List. As

soon as the dropdownfield is also defined as a button with the script

GOTOFIELD

(which is necessary to make the sripttrigger work later) you cannot

change the value of the dropdownlist anymore.

So until now I do not even know it the scripttrigger would work because

I cannot change the value.

Thanks anyway.

Best regards

Nicola