4 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2012 10:13 AM by KimWood

Can't log into server

KimWood

Hi folk.

I know this is not specifically a FM problem, but perhaps someone can help.

I have recently purchased a MacMini with Lion server. Setup went fine. All well.

I have been busy with FMP12 Server Adv, but that is a different matter.

Now I cant log in.

I tried to close the server down, but it just hung there. Left it overnight. No change. Did hard shut down, holding on/off button down.

Now, when I log in, it rejects my password, with the message " You are unable to log in to the user account ....at this time. Loggin in to the account failed because an error occurred."

Strange thing is from My Macbook, I can see the server, and acces the public folders on the server using the password which is rejected by the opeining screen. I can get the mirrored screen on the macbook and tried logging in there - also rejected - so it cant be a keyboard issue.

Any solutions ?

• 1. Re: Can't log into server
          Stephen Huston

I'm assuming that at this point you are more concerned with shutting down the server computer and being able to restart it cleanly than with any issue of the served files.

Do you have a compatible startup Disc or FlashDrive you could have it reboot from to bypass the installed OS accounts?

• 2. Re: Can't log into server
            KimWood

Hi Stephen.

Correct.

I bought the unit with Lion pre-loaded, so do not have any disk. From the info I have been able to find, it seems I will need to get a disk to resolve the problem. Is that correct ?

I will also take the unit back to the supplier on Monday to see if they can assist.

If I downloaded a trial version of Mac Server would that work ? - or would that compromise the pre-loaded software.

• 3. Re: Can't log into server
              ch0c0halic

Kim may be looking for safety in numbers,

So with no OS Lion 10.7 Install boot disk:

INSTRUCTIONS HOW TO RUN LION 10.7 DISK UTILITY: Repair Disk?:

• Shutdown, reboot and immediately hold down the COMMAND+R keys until you see a screen with four options, one will be "Disk Utility"....

SAFE BOOT

Safe Boot is a special way to start when troubleshooting. Safe Mode is the state Mac OS X is in after a Safe Boot. To perform a Safe Boot, hold the Shift key immediately after your Mac starts up.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1564?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Starting up into Safe Mode does several things:

• It forces a directory check of the startup volume.

• It loads only required kernel extensions (some of the items in /System/Library/Extensions).

• In Mac OS X v10.3.9 or earlier, Safe Mode runs only Apple-installed startup items (such items may be installed either in /Library/StartupItems or in /System/Library/StartupItems; these are different than user-selected account login items).

• It disables all fonts other than those in /System/Library/Fonts (Mac OS X v10.4 or later).

• It moves to the Trash all font caches normally stored in /Library/Caches/com.apple.ATS/(uid)/ , where (uid) is a user ID number such as 501 (Mac OS X v10.4 or later).

• It disables all startup items and login items (Mac OS X v10.4 or later).

• Mac OS X v10.5.6 or later: A Safe Boot deletes the dynamic loader shared cache at (/var/db/dyld/). A cache with issues may cause a blue screen on startup, particularly after a Software Update. Restarting normally recreates this cache.

Taken together, these changes can help resolve software or directory issues that may exist on the startup volume.

• 4. Re: Can't log into server
                KimWood

Thanks for that.

I eventually got a technician in from the supplier, who had to relaod Lion completely.

I tried everything, but without success. I have no idea what went wrong.  I had transferred a bunch of video files tot he server because my macBook was getting full - I dont know whether that somehow that caused a problem.