4 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2012 1:03 PM by BruceRobertson

Benchmarking between FM12 vs FM11 debuggers with data viewer

capsprojectos

I would like to share with this forum some benchmarking results, between Filemaker 12 and Filemaker 11. And if possible to confirm this conclusions with other FM 12 users.

Scenario:

Hardware: Core i7, L620, 2GHz, 8Gb RAM.

File: One layout, 180 fields, 1 script with 178 variables.

Test scenario: Run the script, with script debugger and Data Viewer (current tab) opened, showing 10 lines (having the Data Viewer open while stepping).

Results:

With FM11, using the Step Into shortcut key (F6), I finish this test in 1:52 (one minute and 52 seconds).

After convert the main file to the new FM 12 format, I did the same test:

With FM12, using the Step Into shortcut key (F6), I finish this test in 19:38 (nineteen minutes and 38 seconds).

Conclusion: FM12 spend 10 times longer than FM11 (17 minutes and 46 seconds).

Thanks,

• 1. Re: Benchmarking between FM12 vs FM11 debuggers with data viewer
          wsvp

I did not test your file... But in a NON-converted file completely built in FM12 from scratch... Extreeeemely simple data structure... using the data viewer and the script debugger together in FM12, it was sooooo slooooow that I would consider them unusable.

I could not even imagine what this would be like with a complex financial app.  I could probably build a solution as fast as this Debugger/DataViewer combo is displaying in FM12...  I never encountered anything like this in FM11 or earlier.

• 2. Re: Benchmarking between FM12 vs FM11 debuggers with data viewer
            GordonShewach

Yes, I can confirm that with your test file yields extremely slow results in 12 where the same test file in 11 did not. I can also tell you that I haven't had any problem with the Data Viewer and Script Debugger open simultaneously in 12. I stepped through several of my scripts in several converted-to-12 solutions and everything worked as expected.

Your test file had 180 fields on a layout and the test script references all these fields plus about 180 variables. When I disabled all but the first 20 fields and variables in your script, speed returned to normal. So it appears that the problem is related to the large number of fields and variables referenced in the script.

Gordon Shewach

Desktop Services

Ann Arbor, MI

• 3. Re: Benchmarking between FM12 vs FM11 debuggers with data viewer
              BruceRobertson

I got similar results.

I also tried it on a duplicate layout where I removed all the fields; and got the same results.

I note that you are using the classic theme; thus eliminating the theme/conditional formatting argument (for this test anyway)

It would be very interesting if we could get Honza's optimizer tool to evaluate this.

Both files seem to be fast without the debugger on.

The calculation engine seems to be making itself very busy even when it shouldn't.

• 4. Re: Benchmarking between FM12 vs FM11 debuggers with data viewer
                BruceRobertson

Looks like a square or even cube law phenomonon. Duplicate the test script, but then remove half the set variable script steps and compare results.