6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2012 12:36 PM by glennsingleton

Which is the best Windows version to use with FMPSA 12

Boutsy

Hello,

The System Requiement for Filemaker Server 12 advanced on Windows allow following operating systems :

Windows 7 Professionel Edition SP1 (32-bit)

Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition SP2 (32-bit)

Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (64-bit)

Windows 7 Professional Edition SP1 (64-bit)

Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition SP2 (64-bit)

Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 (32-bit)

I want to use FMPSA 12 to serve several databases that can be accessed by FMP12, CWP and IWP through LAN and Internet.

I would choose for a 64-bit operating system (faster!), but can anybody tell me why I should invest in Windows Server 2008 instead of Windows 7 professional. Is Windows Server 2008 more stable, faster???.... I just want the safest, fastest and best solution.

Thank you,

Marc

• 1. Re: Which is the best Windows version to use with FMPSA 12
          wimdecorte

Windows 2008 R2 SP1 64bit is your best option, it's the most recent.

As to Win7 vs 2008: one is a desktop optimzied OS, the other a server optimized OS... should be a no-brainer.

• 2. Re: Which is the best Windows version to use with FMPSA 12
            usbc

Curious: Are the Small Business editions not included because they are known to not work - or - just not yet tested ?

*Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials $545 Includes Small Business Server 2011 Essentials. Price also includes a 25 user account limit and CALs are not required.

*Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard $1096 Includes Small Business Server 2011 Standard Edition. 75 users Price also includes 5-pack of Small Business Server 2011 CAL Suite (User or Device, chosen after purchase)

*Windows Small Business Server 2011 Premium Add-on $1604 Includes Small Business Server 2011 Premium Add-on Edition. Price also includes 5- pack of Small Business Server 2011 Premium Add-on CAL Suite for Users or Devices (User or Device, chosen after purchase)

• 3. Re: Which is the best Windows version to use with FMPSA 12
              wimdecorte

The SBS editions include server software that is typically bad to put on a database server (like Exchange) or has has had known compatibility problems (like SharePoint).

SBS typically is also meant to be the file/print server and AD.   All roles that tend to significantly increase the risk of badly affecting FMS (and not just performance).

• 4. Re: Which is the best Windows version to use with FMPSA 12
                usbc

Thanks -  I would not have know that otherwise.

• 5. Re: Which is the best Windows version to use with FMPSA 12
                  nmurphy24

And 2008 R2 64 Bit does not have to be that expensive.  I regually find them for $200 or less on eBay, never used, with money back guarantees   In fact, there are several there now, one from a "top rated seller" for $185. Once you start using it, it will install Sp1 (no cost).

There is an additional expanse for CAL's,  however you can find them on eBay also.

• 6. Re: Which is the best Windows version to use with FMPSA 12
                    glennsingleton

As a bit of more information, trying to install older versions of FMS on newer SBS versions is getting harder and more unreliable. FMS Console needs Java and the older versions need special tweeking to work at all.

I make recommendations 2008 Standard R2 ( which is only 64 bit ) but a client supplied a server box for me lately with SBS Essentials 2011. It is lightweight, no exchange or sharepoint, has got a good backup routine.

But still has a conflict somewhere not with server itself but the closing of FMS (as I said an old version), such that a reboot of the server for any reason causes damaged files. This is after  issuing 6 times net stop "FileMaker Server" before rebooting. Nice :-<

Stay away from SBS and you will save yourself some grief.

Singo