11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2012 5:53 AM by beverly

Undesired left margins on list view layouts

smoothie

Hi All;

With FM 11 Pro Advanced, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, I have a layout that is a list view with a header, body and footer.
      The header and footer have containers to display graphic backgrounds.
      In form view, there is no margin on the left and it looks great. In list view, it shows a margin 3 or 4 pixels wide with a line down the left margin of the layout, across the top and bottom of the list/body and nothing on the right hand side, top of the header and bottom of the footer.

The position of the containers is set a 0 pixels.
      Image attached to illustrate.
      Am I missing something, or is this a bug?

• 1. Re: Undesired left margins on list view layouts
          mr_scott

Hi, Smoothie:

This is, and always has been an instrinsic aspect of FileMaker when switching between Form and List views. I just add that element to my form views to prevent a shift in layout elements when my users switch between form and list views. "it's not a bug, it's a feature!"

I move my form to the right 3 pixels (left edge starts at 3 pixels), then I create a black 1-pix rectangle that starts at 2 pixels from left, going from top of my layout to bottom. If you have a white background, then that's all you need to do.

Best regards,

- - Scott

It looks better here:

http://www.pod-e-training.com/images/FM-form_v_list-margin.mov

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Undesired left margins on list view layouts
            smoothie

Hi mr_scott;

Re: "it's not a bug, it's a feature!" - No, it's a bug; just because it's always had that shoddy unprofessional behaviour doesn't make it right.  It's kind of like the MS file open/save dialogs, that despite all these years, are still a non-resizeable, annoying, inefficient time waster.  This is what I call an illconceived "aggressive default", that takes visual control of the application away from the developer for absolutely no good reason, other than perhaps developer laziness at FM.  In the case of my application, the user is supposed to experience what appears to be a single dialog with four buttons that cause the content of the dialog to change.  It is actually four seperate layouts - two of which are list views and two are forms.  This bug makes it look terrible; changing the form layouts to look equally terrible is a very poor option.  FileMaker is supposed to be all about the superior, Mac inspired visual experience - NOT!

• 3. Re: Undesired left margins on list view layouts
              BruceRobertson

No, it is not a bug. It is not accidental. It is not unknown. It is not unplanned. It does not appear randomly.

It is an intended feature of the design that provides users with a benefit: an obvious, minimally intrusive, consistent "current record" indicator.

As mentioned, you have a choice in how to control your product to accomodate this feature.

You also have a choice in how to control your reaction.

• 4. Re: Undesired left margins on list view layouts
                smoothie

My apologies Bruce - thanks for pointing out the function of it - I'm a nubie.  Just been feeling rather let down over the whole v12 performance debacle and let my frustration show.

• 5. Re: Undesired left margins on list view layouts
                  beverly
                  I move my form to the right 3 pixels (left edge starts at 3 pixels), then I create a black 1-pix rectangle that starts at 2 pixels from left, going from top of my layout to bottom. If you have a white background, then that's all you need to do.

Scott, I create the 3px (points now) as black box with white box over it. It works on any background color. If you make a small version of this (about 10px/pts) tall and group, you can easily extend the height for any part. Shift all other objects to the right. Also I do NOT allow several views on a layout. There are FORM views (with this shift and graphic) and LIST views. The swap is as smooth as Scott has in his video, when scripted change layout ("toggle" between form and list).

I've been using this technique since FM 6 (or eariler).

Beverly

• 6. Re: Undesired left margins on list view layouts
                    mr_scott

Hi, Smoothie:

I guess I could have left out the "not a bug, it's a feature" crack, as I did not intend to upset you. Of course, Bruce came in and explained why that is a feature — a current record indicator for list views. Anyway, as Beverly also explained, it is easy to make an object that can be used repeatedly in this situation to make your interface experience a pleasant one for your users.

However, it sure would be nice to not have to do that, I agree.

Best regards,

- - Scott

• 7. Re: Undesired left margins on list view layouts
                      mr_scott

Thanks, Beverly. I also do not allow multiple views on layouts — the buttons actually navigate to another layout.

- - Scott

• 8. Re: Undesired left margins on list view layouts
                        smoothie

Hi Scott;

Ya, some fine modern object oriented property settings would be nice, like listview.showleftindicator=false...

Cheers.

• 9. Re: Undesired left margins on list view layouts
                          beverly

I'd rather it automatically shift on form view.

If i put a logo at 24 left & 24 top (position), I'd like that be the SAME VISUALLY when swapping views. I don't want to see it shift at all. I'd prefer record indicator be in "negative  space", so I don't have to think about it. ;D

-- sent from my iPhone4 --

Beverly Voth

--

• 10. Re: Undesired left margins on list view layouts
                            Vaughan

Table view is frustrating: in FMP 10 the margin is different between Mac and Windows platforms but the same in FMP 11. Haven't tested 12 yet.

• 11. Re: Undesired left margins on list view layouts
                              beverly

Yes, Vaughan. TABLE view is another animal altogether. I limit access to it and I don't even try to match the UI of the form and list views. It has minimal header with minimal interface. I use it as a "report" layout one that may or may not be printed. With the ability to arrange, resize and sort columns it's a great report layout.

Beverly

Table view is frustrating: in FMP 10 the margin is different between Mac and Windows platforms but the same in FMP 11. Haven't tested 12 yet.