8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2012 6:10 PM by digital-carpentry

Ios Sharing

kaostika

Hi, is it possible to remote trigger a script from on iOS device to another?

Oreste

• 1. Re: Ios Sharing
          BruceHerbach

Oreste,

In general,  I think this would be difficult.  Assuming that you mean for FileMaker Go,  if the database is hosted database, you could add a table with information about the trigger item and add script steps to check the table when a user performs an action.  If there is an entry go to  a layout and display the information.  When the user hits the done or continue button the script goes back and does the originall function.  The trick is to determine what action would trigger the check and doing the rest of the scripting.

HTH

Bruce

• 2. Re: Ios Sharing
            kaostika

I was thinking using the Open Shared Database URL.

• 3. Re: Ios Sharing
              digital-carpentry

I agree this sounds like it would be fairly complicated, and not knowing what the desired results are I suspect there may be an easier way to do this.

Can you tell a little about what you are trying to achieve?  Will the iOS devices both be on with the database up and running?  What will the user interaction be?  Does the trigger need to happen in realtime, or is it more of an update or alert to be reacted to at next opportunity?

Give us a little more about what you are attempting to do and there is probably a way to work it out.

• 4. Re: Ios Sharing
                kaostika

Using only 2 ipads.  I want to press a button and trigger a script on the other ipad.

Oreste

• 5. Re: Ios Sharing
                  digital-carpentry

OK so really there is no connection between the files, since you can't host from the iPads, they aren't sharing data or anything?  I don't think you'll be able to do that without hosting the file.

I know you want to trigger a script, but can you tell us a little more about the purpose of the script or what ultimately you are trying to do, I don't think any connection between 2 iPads running local files will be possible without involving a host machine or transfering the file back and forth

• 6. Re: Ios Sharing
                    BruceHerbach

Oreste,

To some degree this is probably a security feature..  If the user is not running an app that is looking for some input,  you won't be able to trigger a remote event.  Exceptions...sort of.  you can sent a text and have a messages displayed.  This would work becasue the ipad would be running Messages.  Here you have messages looking for input and processing it.

HTH

Bruce

• 7. Re: Ios Sharing
                      kaostika

Ok there is no "server" involved.  There is the open shared remote script step protocol.  I was wondering if you can trigger a script remotely if you have all the admin passwords and rights.  But I guess you need a host file.

Oreste

• 8. Re: Ios Sharing
                        digital-carpentry

OK, I'm not sure of your terminology, but if the file is being shared from another machine (whether this is FileMaker Server or just being shared by a copy of FileMaker Pro) then it is being hosted.

With that being the case the file is stored on a host machine, and data can be passed back and forth through that host.  So if you can tell us a little more about what the end result you are wanting (rather than just indicating run a script) we might be able to help, you can't trigger a script to run from another machine, but you might be able to flag the need for a script to be run that the remote machine will pick up on and start the script itself.