14 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2012 4:32 PM by Stephen Huston

Custom Function names go blank; function cannot be edited or deleted

dchretien

Hello All,

There had been a discussion about this in the old TechTalk, but with the change, any responses appear not to be accessible any longer.

In any case, I've had this happen in several files, and it just happened again today.

The names of Custom Functions go blank. Once that happens, the function may not be edited nor deleted.

I've had this happen in the past when I've copied functions from one file and pasted them into another. After using the function, the problem occurs. I'd originally thought the problem was related to the fact that I'd copied and pasted the function, and I've gotten into the habit of importing functions instead of copying and pasting.

Today, however, I created a new Custom Function, from scratch. Tested it using the Data Viewer, and when I was sure that everything was working correctly, I was going to setup a calculation field that used the new function. At that point, I realized that I'd built the function in the wrong file, and that I needed it elsewhere. I was about to import it into the second file, and decided that it might just be better to enter it directly, to avoid any potential problem.

I returned to the original file, opened the list of Custom Functions, and the name of that function (and that function, only) was blank. I cannot open it for editing, it will not import into another file. It's unusable.

Interestingly enough, as with prior cases of this, I cannot create a new function with that name, because the system insists that a Custom Function with that name exists already.

Does anyone know the cause of this problem?

Does anyone know how to fix it?

Most importantly, does anyone know if the "nameless" functions may be recovered for use?

Thanks, in advance, for any help.

--Dennis Chretien

• 1. Re: Custom Function names go blank; function cannot be edited or deleted
          digital-carpentry

Sounds like file corruption to me, is this file local or on a server?  do you have a recent backup between the creation and failure of this function?

• 2. Re: Custom Function names go blank; function cannot be edited or deleted
            dchretien

In this case, the file is on a server, but I've had it happen with local files and hosted files (on FileMaker Server, not hosted by FileMaker Pro).

I can go back to an earlier version, but since this has happened repeatedly, with both local and hosted files, I'm trying to figure out what causes it so that I can avoid it in the future.

I've had this happen on files hosted on four different servers (two running FileMaker Server on Macintoshes, and two on Windows), as well as on local copies.  Some of the files for which this has happened originated with me, and others, originated from my clients, so it's not tied to corruption in a "starter" file.

This is just baffling.

• 3. Re: Custom Function names go blank; function cannot be edited or deleted
              digital-carpentry

You're right it doesn't make sense.  If it's a glitch in custom functions you'd think someone else would be having the same problems.  What about how the files are stored prior to hosting or use, are they always stored only on either a FileMaker Server being accessed only through Hosting and locally on a local hard drive?  I know accessing files on remote drives can cause some issues in FileMaker that don't show up immediately but rear their heads when you least expect it.  If there is a common local drive you've had the files on at one time or another you might want to scan it for issues as well, just to be safe.

• 4. Re: Custom Function names go blank; function cannot be edited or deleted
                dchretien

These files have come from different sources.  Some, were initially developed by my clients, and some by me.  In all cases, I've worked with them in various ways:  sometimes locally on my machine, and other times exclusively on a server (sometimes my server, other times theirs.)  Some of these files have never been run locally on my machine and have never been hosted on my server, so if it has something to do with me, then it has to be because I've worked on them from my machine, but this doesn't happen to all files with which I've worked.

This has happened to others.  There was a post in the old TechTalk forum:

https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/36642#36642

but, I can't seem to be able to get to any replies to the thread.  The links go to the old TechTalk address, and that's redirected back to the new discussion area, but not to the actual thread.

• 5. Re: Custom Function names go blank; function cannot be edited or deleted
                  BeatriceBeaubien

Hi Dennis,

I include the thread from TechTalk below. It might be useful to try to recover the file to salvage the Custom Function, and to connect with Steve Romig.

Best wishes,

Beatrice Beaubien, PhD

i2eye, Toronto, Canada

FileMaker Business Alliance

FileMaker 11 Certified Developer

Knowledge Translation Certified Professional

On Apr 30, 2012, at 15:12, dchretien wrote

/snip

This has happened to others.  There was a post in the old TechTalk forum:

https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/36642#36642

but, I can't seem to be able to get to any replies to the thread.  The links go to the old TechTalk address, and that's redirected back to the new discussion area, but not to the actual thread.

TechTalk thread:

Performed many searches for this kind of problem - no luck. What happens is: I establish a custom function, run the script that involves it, and then the function goes blank in the "Manage Custom Functions" menu. The blank custom function can't be edited or deleted.

Obviously something's corrupt... Guessing I'll need to do a "recover" on the db..? Any experiences, options, fixes?

Thanks....

• 6. Re: Custom Function names go blank; function cannot be edited or deleted
                    BeatriceBeaubien

And here is hopefully the full thread (Jive doesn't like multiple underscores as paragraph delimiters - it tosses out everything after an underscore line).

Hi Dennis,

I include the thread from TechTalk below. It might be useful to try to recover the file to salvage the Custom Function, and to connect with Steve Romig.

Best wishes,

Beatrice Beaubien, PhD

i2eye, Toronto, Canada

FileMaker Business Alliance

FileMaker 11 Certified Developer

Knowledge Translation Certified Professional

On Apr 30, 2012, at 15:12, dchretien wrote

/snip

>>

>> This has happened to others.  There was a post in the old TechTalk forum:

>>

>>

>>     https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/36642#36642

>>

>>

>> but, I can't seem to be able to get to any replies to the thread.  The links go to the old TechTalk address, and that's redirected back to the new discussion area, but not to the actual thread.

TechTalk thread:

Performed many searches for this kind of problem - no luck. What happens is: I establish a custom function, run the script that involves it, and then the function goes blank in the "Manage Custom Functions" menu. The blank custom function can't be edited or deleted.

Obviously something's corrupt... Guessing I'll need to do a "recover" on the db..? Any experiences, options, fixes?

Thanks....

XXXX

We had the exact same experience. Don't have much advice to give you;

in our case we went to a backup file.

--Jesse Barnum, President, 360Works

XXX

I just got the same thing (the function goes blank in the "Manage Custom Functions" menu). Can't identify any specific action that I took before it happened. Has this been reported as a bug?

XXX

Don't know if this will help ... but I also had a strange problem with Custom Functions, to wit:

After performing a "Recover" option on a database and then trying to edit the code of a function, the last part of code was gone and in it's place were several instances of "". (Five or six functions were affected -- out of almost 100 -- but the rest were fine.) So after a "Recover" I had to manually copy the code for these half-dozen functions from a backup database. (But a subsequent "Recover" clobbered the code again.)

FMP 10.0 v3 update finally fixed this problem, and a "Recover" no longer clobbers the custom function.

So maybe "Recovering" your database with 10.0 v3 might help???

XXX

I have reported this to Steve Romig. He is researching it to see if it has been identified as a bug.

XXX

Thanks, Jerry. I am at a loss right now -- users have made so many updates to the DB while the CF problem was brewing that I don't have a backup that will suffice.

XXX

• 7. Re: Custom Function names go blank; function cannot be edited or deleted
                      BeatriceBeaubien

And the last bit that Jive tossed (Jive is high maintenance):

On 9/28/09 3:10 PM, jerry@fmptraining.com wrote

For those that are running into this - can you reproduce this issue using a

brand new file? Or are you all seeing it in file(s) that are carry-overs

from previous versions?

There is a bug logged against this that looks very much like what you all

are describing - but it appears "we" have not been able to reproduce this

issue when using a new file.

Interested for sure if you can reproduce using a new file.

And as a side note - make sure that it doesn't have anything to do with a

weird plug-in incompatibility. Maybe temporarily disable all plug-ins you

might be using to see if that makes a difference.

Steve Romig

FileMaker Inc.

Developer Relations Technical Liaison

• 8. Re: Custom Function names go blank; function cannot be edited or deleted
                        databuzz

I've also had this happen to me a few times and never been able to get to the bottom of it, primarily with files hosted by FileMaker Server. It's always been with CF's that I've copied/pasted from another file. From memory last time this happened I ran the file through the Recover utility and it found no errors but the blank custom function was gone.

Andrew

• 9. Re: Custom Function names go blank; function cannot be edited or deleted
                          dchretien

I've been reviewing all of the sites where this has happened, and to the best of my knowledge all of these have been files that have been upgraded from older versions—in some cases as far back as FileMaker Pro 3.

None of them were begun with FileMaker Pro 11 or FileMaker Pro 12.  All preceded that.

This doesn't make it any less of a problem or any less of a priority for my clients, though.

--Dennis

• 10. Re: Custom Function names go blank; function cannot be edited or deleted
                            GordonShewach

I had this happen to me in one database. By the time I discovered it I had already put in dozens of additional hours of development work and so I took a chance on letting it go. Several years later, the presence of those blank custom functions has been a benign annoyance, but no problems have resulted.

By the way, several people have referenced doing a recover. What happened to the conventional developer wisdom that you should never work with a file that's been through recovery?

Gordon Shewach

Desktop Services

Ann Arbor, MI

• 11. Re: Custom Function names go blank; function cannot be edited or deleted
                              DavidZakary

Hate to rain on your parade Dennis but I've had this happen on files created in 11 and 10.

Still sucks.

• 12. Re: Custom Function names go blank; function cannot be edited or deleted
                                dchretien

Actually, that's not rain.  That may be helpful.  If it's tied to more recent versions, that may help FileMaker track down the problem.  It might also move it higher on the priority list for a fix.

• 13. Re: Custom Function names go blank; function cannot be edited or deleted
                                  wsvp

While I have not experienced this specfic issue...  When I have encountered what I feel are Corruption Anomalies I use the Developer Tools to Bind a new solution.   Then I use the new file/files as my working file/files.  This has often cleaned up problems of this type for me.

I NEVER use recovered files...  While I have heard that this is not as big an issue as it used to be.  I prefer to be cautious.

Hope this helps,

Mike

• 14. Re: Custom Function names go blank; function cannot be edited or deleted
                                    Stephen Huston

In what may be a related matter, I reported a few months ago that we have had a Value List go bad in much the same way: Name blank, not clickable/editable/deletable.

It has not resulted in further problems (so far), and it appeared only after we had been using FM11 for some time. The original files had been migrated/converted through most versions clear back to FP3.

At first, I thought this might be a Value List issue where a TO had been removed which was used in a VL of related values, but I am not longer confident that it isn't simply an problem which arose after we used 11 for a while.

There have also been reports of phantom scripts which cannot be edited or deleted. I think this is being written off as misc "file problems" because nobody can reproduce it on demand.