8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2013 5:08 AM by rberrisford

fmxdbc_listener crashing

Mike_Mitchell

Good day, all. We are having a strange issue on Server 11 (Win 2008 R2). We have ODBC / JDBC sharing enabled, but, for some reason we haven't been able to ascertain, the fmxdbc_listener process keeps crashing on us. Cycling ODBC / JDBC sharing off and then back on successfully restarts it, but after a few hours, it crashes again.

Ideas? Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Mike

• 1. Re: fmxdbc_listener crashing
          crazytim

Xdbc_listner is known to crash when its memory usage gets to a certain size.

• 2. Re: fmxdbc_listener crashing
            crazytim

More accuratly, it has a memory leak, and keeps consuming more memory until it crashes.

• 3. Re: fmxdbc_listener crashing
              Mike_Mitchell

Thanks, Tim. We eventually worked around it by scheduling a batch job to run on an event in the log to restart it.

Mike

• 4. Re: fmxdbc_listener crashing
                rberrisford

Mike,

Can you tell me how to restart fmxdbc_listener on a windows client machine?  Is there a cmd string one can enter?  Thanks; I can connect to a hosted db on FMSAdv12 on one laptop client but not on a desktop machine (both 64 bit) despite the DSN returning a satisfactory test.   In Windows task manager, fmxdbc_listener is not running, even on a restart.

Many thanks for any light on this.

Richard

• 5. Re: fmxdbc_listener crashing
                  crazytim

Hi rberrisford,

Im not sure if manually running the fmxdbc_listener will solve your problem. If you do, the console window that opens needs to stay open for it to work. Normally the fmxdbc_listener runs hidden in the background when windows starts up.

If the fmxdbc_listener process is not running, then you can run it directly from where it lives:

client: C:\Program Files (x86)\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced\Extensions\xDBC Support\fmxdbc_listener.exe

server: C:\Program Files (x86)\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Database Server\Extensions\xDBC Support\fmxdbc_listener.exe

• 6. Re: fmxdbc_listener crashing
                    Mike_Mitchell

Richard -

Tim's paths to the process are correct, and he's right about the console window remaining open when you launch the process manually.

But I admit to being a little confused here. If you can connect to the database from a laptop, you should be able to connect to it from a desktop; the database on the server should accept connections regardless of what client is requesting a connection. Are you making a connection to a hosted database here, or are we trying to connect to a database that's open locally? If it's hosted, something else is going on besides a crash of the listener process.

Mike

• 7. Re: fmxdbc_listener crashing
                      rberrisford

Thanks Tim and thanks Mike. 

My database is hosted on a remote Server (Advanced 12) which I can access by ODBC readily from a laptop - pulling data straight into Excel.

I am trying to connect from a client's desktop machine, installed the last driver, set up the DSN, got a satisfactory "Test OK" in the ODBC setup, but cannot connect.

When I test the DSN with MSQuery, although my DSN is listed, I get the error " The specified DSN contains an architecture mismatch between the driver and application".

Looking through the ODBC.JDBC guide for FM12, they suggest checking to see if fmxdbc_listener is running - it's not.  I have activated it, got a firewall message which had been blocking it, but have given that permission and still have the above error message.

Any insight gratefully received!.  Really disappointing not to be able to harness the power of ODBC reliably from any machine.  I guess it is machine specific, and will test access again later from the original laptop.

Thanks guys.

Richard

• 8. Re: fmxdbc_listener crashing
                        rberrisford

I have found the problem.

I am running Windows 7 Professional (64bit) on this desktop, so installed the 64 bit version of the ODBC driver.  Although the DSN setup said all was good, any other application, such as MS Query, could no use the 64bit version of the driver.  So I also installed the 32 bit driver, and bingo. Works like it should.

Hopefully this will be helpful to an other members who are tearing their hair out trying to connect to their database in this way. Its probably self-evident, but certainly isnt in the documentation.

Richard