Are you comparing the output from the "Save Records as PDF" script step and the output from using PDF options in a Print dialog box?
The Save Records as PDF script step uses FM's internal PDF encoding system. The print dialog box uses the PDF drivers (if any) from the OS, not from FileMaker.
Yes, the Save Records as PDF (although I just go to print preview manually, then click the Save as PDF icon) and the simple File, Print, then select Adobe PDF as the printer (we are running Acrobat Professional and have always used this for our printing). My file was converted from a highly functional 11.0 file that's been in use for years, producing perfect pdf docs, so it seems that the output/communication between FMP and Acrobat have changed. Is there a fix for this? Maybe an acrobat upgrade?
It sounds like you are then using the OS-level printer drivers for PDF, which may be from Adobe, or might be some other source. It might even be part of your printer's installation if you use a Postscript printer.
Acrobat X Pro is the latest version from Adobe.
It does sound as though the issue is that FM is sending a print-spool file to the PDF writer which is not as compatible as it used to be. I would make sure you have installed all the updaters for your printer as well as contacting FMI for any help. There have been a lot of recent printer driver upgrades, but they often don't get installed until someone sees a problem.
This is on windows, correct? You might also try CutePDF if you need a free pdf printer. Is there a reason you need an external print driver rather than the built in function?
If this is OS X, I wouldn't use the adobe print drivers, use the one built into the OS.
The solution contains hundreds of PRINT buttons, each allowing the user to either choose their Adobe PDF or their laser printer, depending upon their needs. These buttons have been in use for many years and I'd rather not have to retrain staff and/or add buttons for the Save as PDF function. Further, when using the PRINT button, it allows a user to choose Current Record or All Records being Browsed. In order to use the Save as PDF, the found set has to be chosen by the user as the current record or all records, so it adds that extra/new step.
I know exactly what you are talking about.
We too, produce PDFs and print outs through the regular print menu and are depending on this.
I figured that early v12 had this problem only when printable images or containers were in the layout, once marked as so not print, the printout looked smooth as ever.
Now after some upgrades, on some layouts every printout looks awful.
It seems that Filemaker renders the output as bitmap and sends this towards the printspooler.
I just found out, that this also happens if I have a pop-up menu in the printable layout.