4 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2012 11:32 PM by fortworthaustin

Is tooltip size limited in FM12?

fortworthaustin

On my Win 7 PC, all converted tooltips display in FM12 in a box that's approximately 275 point wide. "Formatted" text phrases containing pilcrows display awkwardly with new lines forced in the wrong places. Under FM11, these tooltips would display in boxes that were 3, 4, even 5 inches wide. I have never encountered a FileMaker-imposed limit.

Is the tooltip width or number of characters limited in FM12?

• 1. Re: Is tooltip size limited in FM12?
          Stephen Huston

I just tested a lengthy tootip of over 300 characters. I am on Mac 10.6.8 with FM12.

The tooltip is wrapping only at whole word break points, with the wrap ocurring at the space which falls nearest before the 50th character mark. (Haven't measured it in terms of screen pixels.)

My 300+ characters wraps to a 7-line box; nothing is missing --  just very deep instead of wide.

• 2. Re: Is tooltip size limited in FM12?
            fortworthaustin

To clarify, nothing is missing in the tooltips.  But rather than being rendered in a nice, readable (wide) format, the text is stacked into the vertical format that, apparently, you have also observed.  I've never seen anything like it on a Windows PC.

This seems to be another arbitrary change in FM12.  Or is there an undocumented tooltip width setting?

• 3. Re: Is tooltip size limited in FM12?
              RalphLearmont

This is very annoying because in many cases, I have tooltips derived from calculations and those calculations include many embedded pilcrows (ie. the ¶ character)   That is, I am in charge of creating my own line breaks according to what looks good and is easy to read.

With FMP12, I am therefore seeing many "ugly" tooltips because every second line might be extremely short!

From tests I've just done, it seems that v12's tooltips wrap according to the aspect ratio of a text block.  IOW if the tooltip comprises just a few words or charcters, lines will self-wrap "early".  Conversely, large tooltips will have longer lines.  I agree that the intent is good.

A simple answer to this would be for the FM Inc. developers to adjust their code so that a tooltip wraps according to whether or not a tooltip contains any CRs.  In other words, if it doesn't, by all means use the new better looking wrapping code, otherwise leave those pre-wrapped Tooltips (containing ¶s) alone.

• 4. Re: Is tooltip size limited in FM12?
                fortworthaustin

RalphLearmont wrote:

A simple answer to this would be for the FM Inc. developers to adjust their code so that a tooltip wraps according to whether or not a tooltip contains any CRs.  In other words, if it doesn't, by all means use the new better looking wrapping code, otherwise leave those pre-wrapped Tooltips (containing ¶s) alone.

That's exactly what's needed.  And it should only take minor code changes to make it happen.  Now, they just need to get it into 12.0v2 ASAP.  But FMI also needs to listen up: stop making these unnecessary "improvements" that destroy the operation of existing applications.

Our application probably has over 500 carefully-crafted tooltips that now look terrible in FM12.  It's one of about a dozen reasons we've waived off from a conversion to 12.