14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2014 2:57 AM by Mike_Mitchell

How to create a RSS Feed with FMS12

ibrahim_bittar

Hi all

Now that XSLT has been deprecated, how would be the process to create rss feeds with FileMaker Server 12?.

I know nothing of XSLT anyway but all web references point to that technology so I have no reference to start up.

Any help and/or sample files will be greatly appreciated.

Saludos

Ibrahim.

• 1. Re: How to create a RSS Feed with FMS12
          Mike_Mitchell

Ibrahim -

I've done this using PHP. Just echo out the required XML to the "browser", and the RSS reader will interpret it as a feed.

I don't have the sample file handy, but I can upload it when I get home from work.

Mike

• 2. Re: How to create a RSS Feed with FMS12
            beverly

Ibarhim, just the XSLT custom web publishing process has be deprecated. If you use XML (and/or PHP) then you GET XML with custom web publishing! Get both of these guides for 12 and you'll see the formats available in FMS12.

Mike's correct. Use PHP to process the XML. There are probably examples of RSS with PHP on php.net or other sites.

Beverly

p.s. XML/XSLT with export and import are NOT deprecated.

• 3. Re: How to create a RSS Feed with FMS12
              Mike_Mitchell

Beverly's right too.     

I used some examples of RSS generation using PHP to make mine work. But I had to work through some date parsing issues to make the RSS reader interpret it correctly. Some of the date encoding was a little tricky. Or maybe I'm just slow.

Anyway, I'll send you that sample when I get home from work.

Mike

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to create a RSS Feed with FMS12
                ibrahim_bittar

Thank you very much, Mike and Bev!

Saludos

Ibrahim Bittar Torres

Director General

Eikonsys, S.A. de C.V.

FileMaker 10 Certified Developer

http://www.eikonsys.com

FileMaker Business Alliance

• 5. Re: How to create a RSS Feed with FMS12
                  Mike_Mitchell

Ibrahim -

Here's the sample code I promised. It's two files. blogRSS.php is the file I use to emit the RSS feed for the blog on my site. rssFunctions.php contains the functions I wrote for all the various RSS feeds.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Mike

• 6. Re: How to create a RSS Feed with FMS12
                    ibrahim_bittar

Hi Mike, Bev.

I've figured out a rudimentary but effective way to publish RSS feeds right from FileMaker and FTPit only. It doesn't mean that I won't use your samples but while I learn them I guess this is a good first step .

Now, the reason I want to use RSS is to create a notification system for Eikonsys, so, when a Job Order is finished FileMaker will add a new post to the "Production" channel saying: "Order Nº 123 was finished" and so on.

I plan to have three channels:

.- Sales

.- Production

.- Accounting

These channels must be access restricted, like the rest of the system so the feeds must be password protected. Googling I found this but it is too cryptic for me:

"You can set a username and password on RSS feeds by using a .htaccess file and a .htpasswd file in the /backend dir and setting access for the dir or per feed file"

Can you translate this for me please?. Thanks in advance, you've been VERY helpful.

Ibrahim.

• 7. Re: How to create a RSS Feed with FMS12
                      beverly

what web server are you using (IIS or apache)? Do you have each feed in a separate directory? this is a setting for directory access for the web server (directories and files).

Beverly

• 8. Re: How to create a RSS Feed with FMS12
                        Mike Duncan

htaccess files are typically hidden files (hence the preceeding dot) that live on an apache server. They can be placed in a directory and apache will read them for instructions when serving anything in that directory... so you can put apache config in there that's specific only to that directory. Here's the apache reference for authentication:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/howto/auth.html

Also, if you're outputting static text from a "Export Field Contents" script step, I have found that the exported text is UTF-16 little endian, which was causing problems on my web server... I wrote the following applescript to convert it to UTF-8 which worked fine. In my case it was a php index page that I needed output. In this example, "$path" was a file path I set in a previous step to save the file.

"do shell script \"iconv -f UTF-16LE -t UTF-8 " & Substitute ( $path ; ["file:" & Get ( SystemDrive ) ; "/"] ; ["index.php"; ""] ) & "index.php > " & Substitute ( $path ; ["file:" & Get ( SystemDrive ) ; "/"] ; ["index.php"; ""] ) & "indexnew.php \""

end then

"do shell script \"mv " & Substitute ( $path ; ["file:" & Get ( SystemDrive ) ; "/"] ; ["index.php"; ""] ) & "indexnew.php " & Substitute ( $path ; ["file:" & Get ( SystemDrive ) ; "/"] ; ["index.php"; ""] ) & "index.php \""

Of course, this was on OS X.

• 9. Re: How to create a RSS Feed with FMS12
                          ourcalling

We are a small nonprofit serving the homeless. We use Filemaker to help keep records on our guests. We would like to pull an RSS feed to send data to our digital signage. (who is next to be served...)

I see the examples that you uploaded, but that looks like Greek to me.

We are running File Maker Server 12 Advanced. Where would I upload those files?

• 10. Re: How to create a RSS Feed with FMS12
                            Mike_Mitchell

Hello, ourcalling.

These files would be an example of Custom Web Publishing (CWP). They're part of a larger picture, especially that first line that includes the "DB.inc.php" file. That file basically goes out and connects to your database, which is hosted.

I recommend you start with the Custom Web Publishing Guide, which comes with Server. (You'll find it in the Documentation folder inside the FileMaker Server folder.) That'll give you the basics of how to set up Server and your database to host PHP web pages. You'll also need to make sure your server is configured to host web pages, either using Apache (Mac) or IIS (Windows).

HTH

Mike

• 11. Re: How to create a RSS Feed with FMS12
                              ourcalling

Our server is a Mac Mini running the latest versions of the OS. It is running the web server and we can login to our database through Web Publishing.

• 12. Re: How to create a RSS Feed with FMS12
                                Mike_Mitchell

Instant Web Publishing or Custom Web Publishing? Are you running PHP on the server and using that for your web pages, are you logging in using the IWP Home Page?

Mike

• 13. Re: How to create a RSS Feed with FMS12
                                  ourcalling

Mitch - we have recently upgraded to FMS13. We are starting over on the topic of generating an RSS. Where do we start?

• 14. Re: How to create a RSS Feed with FMS12
                                    Mike_Mitchell

Right where we left off. What kind of web publishing are you using?