9 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2012 9:23 PM by digital-carpentry

Show both fields in a Drop-Down List

ziceg

It's got to be something really simple I'm missing... I have a table that has a few fields (Part, Description) This info is then converted into a value list (Kit List) so I can use with another table (Table A).

In the other table /layout (Table A) I have a field (Kit) that looks for the Kit value from a dropdown list (Kit List). I did ask it to display both values from field one and field two. So far so good.

My issue is that of course when you choose the item in my table/layout it will show you both fields but only end up recording and showing the value from first field, whilst I would like both items to be shown once you've done the choosing from the value list.

As per image attached the end result is that the field Kit will end up showing only 000 as opposed to 000 0_Components only even though I can see both when selecting from Value List.

Any help would be appreciated.

(I'm using Filemaker 11)

• 1. Re: Show both fields in a Drop-Down List
          digital-carpentry

Simply display the other field next to the first one based on a relationship

So when I have "000" in this field, a relationship between this field and the field in the other table will allow be to display the related field with the value of "0_Components"

If the two fields doesn't look the way you want it, concatenate the fields in the first table and display the concatinated value over top of the selected field (this will require using a button or script trigger to access the underlying field with the value list when you click on the display field)

• 2. Re: Show both fields in a Drop-Down List
            Malcolm

My issue is that of course when you choose the item in my table/layout it will show you both fields but only end up recording and showing the value from first field, whilst I would like both items to be shown once you've done the choosing from the value list.

To get the display that you would like you can (a) switch to using pop-up menu style value lists or (b) build the UI differently as suggested by digitalcarpentry

Malcolm

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Show both fields in a Drop-Down List
              digital-carpentry

A popup Menu would still only display one value once selected wouldn't it?  He's wanting both values to display (like it does in the value list)  You could do this with a concatenated field as the value list and display with a pop-up I guess, but just displaying a second field through the relationship seems simpler.

• 4. Re: Show both fields in a Drop-Down List
                pthomas

A popup menu shows both options as shown in the screenshot below which is showing two copies of the same field, the first is set to use a drop down list, the second to use a popup menu. Both fields are using the same value list:

Capture.PNG

Cheers,

Paul.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Show both fields in a Drop-Down List
                  digital-carpentry

I generally am trying to hide an ID number when I use these, so I only show the second field and I didn't realize it would display both like that, you learn something new every day!

• 6. Re: Show both fields in a Drop-Down List
                    ziceg

Doing the Pop up is a great solution that will work nicely in some of my value lists, except in some of my value lists I could have a very long list of items (+200) where scrolling through without ability to do an auto-complete would be very tedious and a nuisance....

• 7. Re: Show both fields in a Drop-Down List
                      digital-carpentry

Yes Pop-ups can be limiting due to size, but again if you need to stick with a list, just stick the other field in separately based on a relationship and you'll have the data all displayed like you want.

• 8. Re: Show both fields in a Drop-Down List
                        ziceg

Sorry to be a pain, but How would I do that relationship?

Obviously I have table B (where value list comes from) with fields (B_ID, Kit No, Description)

Table A where the info will go (A_ID, Kit [value list], field3, field4,....)

I do currently have a relationship going between these two tables as in Table B I have a link_ID_A

So how do I go from here?

• 9. Re: Show both fields in a Drop-Down List
                          digital-carpentry

OK Table B I assume the B_ID is the field containing "000" from your example, and the value list basically stores that value when it's selected.  Simply create a relationship based on that field in Table B matching the field that you are using the value list on in this table (Kit).  Then display the Kit No (and Description if you want) based on that relationship.