10 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2012 2:01 PM by NancyAdelman

FM 12 can't see hosted files

NancyAdelman

A client installed FMS 12 Server and is hosting several FM12 files. In the server console area, all files have the status: Normal. None of the users can see the files outside of the local network. Port 5003 is open. Any ideas why no remote clients can see these files?

The client used to have FMS 11 on this machine and the users could see those fine. Of course, the first uninstalled FMS 11 and restarting the machine before installing FMS12 but no other changes were made to the machine.

Thank you.

Nancy Adelman

Adelman Databases

• 1. Re: FM 12 can't see hosted files
          digital-carpentry

I know this is obvious and you've probably already checked this, but the end users are trying to access through FM12 NOT FM11 right?

FM 11 cannot connect to a FM12 Server.

• 2. Re: FM 12 can't see hosted files
            DavidZakary

I was about to ask the same question about FM11 vs FM12.

Nancy stated that they can't see the hosted files outside of the local network - I'm taking this to mean that they can see the files inside the local network. Meaning they are using 12.

When the external users try to connect are they using the proper IP address/domain to connect? I've had many users add the local sever to the Favorites and then wonder why they can't connect externally with the same address.

• 3. Re: FM 12 can't see hosted files
              NancyAdelman

Yes, the users are trying this with FM 12. I'm trying it remotely, too, with FM 12 using the IP address the client gave me, which I have to assume is correct. They are pretty savvy technically so I'm frustrated that we can't figure this out.
              Nancy

• 4. Re: FM 12 can't see hosted files
                Mike_Mitchell

Dumb question: Is the local network behind a router? If so, have they set up port forwarding to allow outside traffic to come in?

Edit: Check out this previous thread:

https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/77671

• 5. Re: FM 12 can't see hosted files
                  DonClark

Here's another long shot to try:  Check the FM Admin->Configuration:Database Server->Security tab.

There is an option to list only db's users are authorized to access.  Choose the option to List all databases.

Another thing to try - type the full path and file name into the Network File Path in the Remote Access window and see if you can open the file even though it is not visible:

fmnet:/192.168.1.1/Contacts

Finally, have them verify the simplest of things - the machine's static ip address, the routers port forwarding (5003 to the server), was any work done on firewall, etc.  It could be something else was changed around the same time and that causded the problem, not FM server.

• 6. Re: FM 12 can't see hosted files
                    NancyAdelman

The client installed this on the server that used to run FMS 11, which they first uninstalled. Nothing else changed. If they users could see the FMS 11 files with FM 11, why can't they see the hosted FMS 12 files hosted with FM12?

• 7. Re: FM 12 can't see hosted files
                      Mike_Mitchell

Well, since users inside the LAN are able to see the databases, my inclination is to agree with Donald - something else has changed.

Another possibility is that there's something flaky with the firewall. We just had a case where a Win 2008 R2 server decided to chop off ODBC / JDBC access, not only to outside connections, but to connections from services running on the same box. While the firewall claimed port 2399 was open, we turned off one of the firewall profiles, and guess what? It started working.

Anyway, I'd have a hard time believing FMS 12 is broken for the simple reason it works for anyone inside the LAN. But stranger things have happened.  

Mike

• 8. Re: FM 12 can't see hosted files
                        timwhisenant

Nancy,

My bonjour service did not restart automatically when I installed FMSA12. Could that be the case here??

HTH,

Tim

• 9. Re: FM 12 can't see hosted files
                          timwhisenant

Mike,

I am not convinced this is an accurate inference. “Well, since users inside the LAN are able to see the databases, my inclination is to agree with Donald - something else has changed.”

Seems to me no one anywhere can see the hosted files, inside the Lan or out. Nancy can you clarify this?

Tim

• 10. Re: FM 12 can't see hosted files
                            NancyAdelman

There are no local users with FM 12. All FM 12 users access the files remotely. But the web pages that access the FM 12 files through an ODBC connection are working fine. So we know the FM12 files are being hosted properly with FMS 12. It's just that the FM 12 remote users can't see them

• 11. Re: FM 12 can't see hosted files
                              Mike_Mitchell

Oh, okay. Well, that's different.   

In that case, it could very well be a series of different issues.

1) File permissions, as suggested by Donald. Users won't see any files if the server is set to broadcast only files where they have permissions (although they should get a prompt for credentials in that case).

2) Bonjour may not be running, as suggested by Tim. That would prevent Server from broadcasting available databases.

3) Make sure the files have the [fmapp] extended privilege enabled on the accounts that are trying to access them (more precisely, on the privilege sets). However, this should not stop the databases from being visible in Open Remote (as Server will automatically enable [fmapp] on the [Full Access] priv set when the file is hosted).

4) Again, network / firewall / port forwarding issues. Given the evidence presented so far, I'm still thinking it's here, but I could be wrong.

Is it possible to have someone inside the LAN use a FileMaker client to check access?

Mike

• 12. Re: FM 12 can't see hosted files
                                DonClark

This is looking more and more like a port issue.  ODBC uses port 2399 on fm and that is working.  That leaves port 5003 as the likely suspect.  Verify that both the server and the router/firewall have port 5003 open, the port is forwarded to the same ip address as the odbc setting, and that any firewall rules are not only correct but active/enabled.

Don

• 13. Re: FM 12 can't see hosted files
                                  NancyAdelman

Thank you everyone for your response. The problem turned out to be a firewall issue that has been resolved.

Nancy