10 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2012 11:50 AM by MattLeach

First Attempt at FMP12 Chart,

MattLeach

I have not done much work with FileMakers charting capabilities in the past and this is my first attempt in making a chart with FileMaker 12 and im not really getting anywhere.

I have a table that consists of 3 calculation fields, each using ExecuteSQL Calculations:

Count_Clients - ExecuteSQL ( "SELECT count (*) FROM TechSupport WHERE Client = 1"; ""; "")

Count_OnSub - ExecuteSQL ( "SELECT count (*) FROM TechSupport WHERE Client = 1 and Maint = 1"; ""; "")

Count_OffSub - ExecuteSQL ( "SELECT count (*) FROM TechSupport WHERE Client = 1 and Maint != 1"; ""; "")

So far i've tried to setup the chart using Slice Data of Main::Count_OffSub & Main::Count_OnSub but the chart remains one solid color. I'm pretty sure i'm doing something wrong.

I would like to produce a pie graph showing the percentage of clients OnSub and OffSub. Using FM12's new charting setup, how would i be able to accomplish this?

Thanks

• 1. Re: First Attempt at FMP12 Chart,
          PeterCross

If you are getting one colour, it sounds like you do not have "¶" between the series values you are using for the chart.  ( Try Slice Data of Main::Count_OffSub & "¶" & Main::Count_OnSub)

• 2. Re: First Attempt at FMP12 Chart,
            MattLeach

I've changed the Slice Data but i appears the same. It seems to be reading the values, just not slicing them:

My current values are:

OnSub = 4340

OffSub = 1257

If i hover my mouse over the graph, it states Value: 12574340

5-9-2012 9-27-12 AM.png

Do i need to somehow specify the total of clients so that the chart can then split the on and offs?

• 3. Re: First Attempt at FMP12 Chart,
              pmconaway

In the Chart Setup, are you specifying a Field Name or a Calculation? Based on the original post I would assume field name. Try basing it on a calculation and see if that changes anything. Also there is a "Data Source" tab on the right hand side of the chart setup. There is an option "Chart display when layout is sorted:" you can choose either "Summarized groups of records" or "Individual Record data"

I've just spent a couple of days myself trying to get a Chart to work the way I wanted it to. It took a little getting used to, but I found it usable.

Paul

• 4. Re: First Attempt at FMP12 Chart,
                MattLeach

The Slice Data is based on a calculation.

As for the data source, ive tried both with no change.

This layout is basically an "Admin Layout" which it linked to its own table with 1 record so there is no found set to be utilized

• 5. Re: First Attempt at FMP12 Chart,
                  Stephen Huston

Try testing your calcs via the Data Viewer tool before putting them into the chart.

If the calcs are returning the correct result, that is where you need to find a fix, rather than in the chart construction.

• 6. Re: First Attempt at FMP12 Chart,
                    MattLeach

There are really no calcs that need to be evaluated. They are already done and stored in the fields mentioned above. Perhaps i wasnt explaining the issue properly.

Using these values (which are defined as calculations i mention in first post):

Total Clients: 6256

On Sub: 4340

Off Sub: 1257

I'm basically trying to get a pie chart to visually show the user out of the total clients (6256) how many are On Sub and how many are Off Sub.

Im sure i'm missing something simple as charting is not my strong point but this is how i have the chart setup currently:

chart.png

Under Data Source i have it set to Current Record (delimited data)

• 7. Re: First Attempt at FMP12 Chart,
                      Stephen Huston

Create a calc which is the sum of the 3 fields, then calculate the percentage of that total for each of the other fields and chart those percentages.

• 8. Re: First Attempt at FMP12 Chart,
                        Stephen Huston

Depending on the underlying table(s) from whcih you are getting your calc sums, could you do a find in the table where these records are located, sort them by group, and then just chart the resulting counts so you get 3 slices?

Charting different values in a single record is actually less simple that groupsed data in multiple records (sorted).

• 9. Re: First Attempt at FMP12 Chart,
                          pmconaway

What Stephen is suggesting is what I ended up doing for my chart. Matt, you are doing a calculation as your field definitions. If you use the data viewer what value do you get if you have the following as your calculation in the data viewer. Calc 1 = "On sub /total Clients" 

• 10. Re: First Attempt at FMP12 Chart,
                            MattLeach

Stephen: I definately understand this being more difficult after trying it lol

pmconaway: I setup the data viewer as you suggested Main::Count_OnSub / Main::Count_Clientand the value is .6937340153452685