4 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2012 1:05 PM by Lemmtech

New User - HELP!

lnaidu@aveuity.com

Hi There,

I am a new user to Filemaker and not an expert in technical jargon. Im a Personal Assistant and my boss has asked me to set up Filepmaker pro.

The questions I have are :

1 - Can Filemaker be stored in a central location (server or cloud) and accessed by several users?

2 - Does Filemaker works with any online accounting tools - preference would be MYOB live

3 - I would like to run our website(s) through Filemaker. The websites are currently in wordpress, HTML. What would be the best starting point?

• 1. Re: New User - HELP!
          MattLeach

Welcome to FileMaker!

Im not expert bt i'll do my best to address some of your questions:

1. FileMaker can be hosted a multitude of ways: You can purchase FileMaker Server and setup a server to host your files(s). You can also share the file from FileMaker Pro iteself. Another option would be an outside hosting company to host the file for you.

2. I do not have any experience with MYOB but there was a discussion recently on here that it has ODBC cababilities which can be utilized. See the thread here: https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/80738#80738

3. What exactly would you like to do through your website, things such as displaying filemaker data?

-Matt

• 2. Re: New User - HELP!
            Malcolm

I am a new user to Filemaker and not an  expert in technical jargon. Im a Personal Assistant and my boss has asked me to set up Filepmaker pro.

Does your boss already have a Filemaker database or does he expect you to create one?

The questions I have are :

1 - Can Filemaker be stored in a central location (server or cloud) and accessed by several users?

yes, it has excellent networking capabilities.

Best option: There is a server version ( Filemaker Server ) which runs separately and you login to that using Filemaker Pro

Make Do option: Filemaker Pro can be used to share a database across a small network up to five users. There are lots of gotcha's with this option but it can work.

2 - Does Filemaker works with any online accounting tools - preference would be MYOB live

Not straight out of the box. It can be done. Filemaker can export data in many formats but MYOB uses an uncommon format.

3 - I would like to run our website(s) through Filemaker. The websites are  currently in wordpress, HTML. What would be the best starting point?

You need to run Filemaker Server to generate web sites from filemaker.  You cannot integrate Filemaker directly with WordPress. WordPress uses mySQL databases. However, you can integrate Filemaker/PHP web pages with a WordPress site. We do that.

Malcolm

• 3. Re: New User - HELP!
              beverly

I'll address this 3rd question specifically. Word Press stores all the CONTENT for your website. It is designed for content management. It has a rather complex set of data tables and business logic. I would not recommend re-creating everything just to use FileMaker.

However, I have used FileMaker for web publishing for many years. Sometimes the best solution is to merely Exchange data between the current database (probably MySQL for Word Press, in this case) and FileMaker.

This might be import/export with CSV files. Or IF you have the proper permission and can access the SQL db with ODBC drivers and the use of ESS (I'll let you research that), might be an option. It may depend on several factors.

That all being said, I have created several websites that had content management features. And I have created static websites that simply exported the HTML pages from FileMaker.

It really depends on what you want to do.

-- sent from my iPhone4 --

Beverly Voth

--

• 4. Re: New User - HELP!
                Lemmtech

1] Yes. As others have said you can use a third party to host the database for you but the performance may suffer depending on your situaiton.

2] No FileMaker does not work directly with any online accounting tools. I have integrated FM with MYOB in the Mac platform and it's not easy to do since MYOB uses a wackly file format for import. If you are running QuickBooks locally under Windows there are plugins you can by to connect the two but then need to pay someone to program the links between the two.

3] Don't suggest doing this. As Beverly said your best bet is to pass the data you need on your website from FileMaker if you really want to but FileMaker is a relational database program and not a program for bulding or maintaining web sites.