3 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2012 11:42 AM by Stephen Huston

Photo Management - resizing and uploading to database?

jeoihcd

Do you have any recommendations on process for working with a large amount of photos that need to be integrated into a database.

I have a survey form that is being created in FileMaker Pro 12. For each item being surveyed, we need to take one or more photos and link it with that item in the database. Is it better to take the photos, store them in one place (outside of Filemaker) and link it later to the survey, or is there a way to take photos and automatically have them resized down and link with items in the survey? Any ideas or examples are welcome...

• 1. Re: Photo Management - resizing and uploading to database?
          dankat

Hi,

I am not as talented as many others so for my $.02 worth, the program from 360 Woks - SuperContainer works wonderfully well with the photos in the container fields. You are able to add and view the photos without bloating your FM system. The phots are stored in a separete directory and are viewed and accessed from your FM solution. As to resizing down, don't know as I don't use that many files. Others may be able to help you out better.

Dan

• 2. Re: Photo Management - resizing and uploading to database?
            sparrow_design

Hello,

FM12 was designed with photo management in mind, but you have to decide 'how' you want to manage your photos, see this article for options:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10244/~/storing-container-field-data-externally

Storing your photos externally will work well, and not bloat your FMP File.

" is there a way to take photos and automatically have them resized down and link with items in the survey? "

Resizing down now happens automattcally from within FM for image display (see 'thumbnail' section of above link ).

Auto-linking back to specific Records within FM is not out-of-the-box behavior for FileMaker, and FM will tell you do NOT modify 'managed' folders manually (i.e...do NOT place new files, or edit existing files in these 'managed' folders.Let FM do all that based on what images you insert or drag+drop into it.)

David

• 3. Re: Photo Management - resizing and uploading to database?
              Stephen Huston

Some methods that we have tested successfully include:

Importing by reference only but set Thumbnail storage to be permanent in the file.

This still requires that the external path remain valid.

Another option that does not require that the external path to the original remain is really neat but has to be scripted:

Script a SetField for a second image container to be set to the GetThumbnail [new container function] value of the displayed container into which you have placed the file by reference only. (See the built-in FM Help system for an example of how to set the values for the new GetThumbnail function.)

Then use that second container field for display elsewhere, now that it contains an actual image file created at the thumbnail resolution. That content will remain even if the link to the original file is no longer valid as long as you don't retrigger the script on that record.