6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2012 6:01 AM by melastudio

Syncing with Dropbox a two files solution - is this possible?

powell

I have a single-user fmp12 file that want to use both on PC and iPad.

If I share the file on dropbox, being cautious about using it only on one device at a time, I can sync data across the two platforms. Great!

If my solution uses the model which divides program and data into two separate files, I have this issue:

Dropbox program file doesn't find data file (which is on the same dropbox folder).

If I send the two files via e-mail, it will work (program file will find data file) but this is not a solution because I won't be able to sync data with the PC.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

• 1. Re: Syncing with Dropbox a two files solution - is this possible?
          richardcarlton

Yah...I just saw this Post.  I wrote up a request to FMI for Dropbox support...for a way to help deal with all the sandboxing issues with FMGO.   It would be nice. I am not holding my breath...which is really too bad.  And...no...without FMI deciding to incorporate some of Dropbox's API's into the FMGO code...it cannot be done.   Frankly...this would not be a major deal for FMI to add this support...but not enough people complain about the issue of their lack of ability to get data getting ON or OFF the devices.  

I think they just get frustrated and go off and use another tool.

Dropbox box access... with a Path function would be AWESOME...and give the developers a tool to solve a TON of issues.   Moving local copies of DB's off the iOS devices...staging fresh copies...managing backups of local files...the list goes on...and on.   Since there is no real iCloud support in FMGO...this would give us hooks to a cloud...to support all sorts of solutions.   Move PDFs and Excel docs arround without emailing them.

Anyway...

- RC

• 2. Re: Syncing with Dropbox a two files solution - is this possible?
            jormond

Also, I would be very careful when using Dropbox with a live open file. I've dealt with several corruption issues with a file that Dropbox kept trying to sync while I was still had it open.

• 3. Re: Syncing with Dropbox a two files solution - is this possible?
              richardcarlton

I agree.   I just think that exporting files there.... then getting files from there....etc..etc.   Dropping them into Documents, back and forth, etc solves alot of problems.   Nothing Crazy. 

USE CASE:  A customer has a problem with a local file.   40 Megs in Size.  I say send it to me.   They Say "How".    I say...well..."There is no easy way."

Don't tell me you don't have to work arround the limits of email attachments of a semi frequent basis.  We have to work arround it daily with GO.

Or...alternatively...we can sit and spend a hour trying to explain to a 85 year old user ...how to connect their iPad to their iMac...then use iTunes to move the file.  That was really an experience I would care not to repeat.  I hate trying to explain it to a 20 year old.

- Richard

p.s. How about we just press a button and it gets beamed back to my office.  Well.. we have that working by using FMS...and some clever container stuff...then it got broke with 12.0.6 with GO.   So kick that back to my team to be reworked again... :-(   Fragile stuff.   I need robustness.

• 4. Re: Syncing with Dropbox a two files solution - is this possible?
                abridgesolution

I too have had corruption issues using Dropbox. Just opening and closing the files while they are in Dropbox will usually produce a recovery log.

I thought it would be a great way for my beta testers to test files and allow me to send updates at will and know that everyone was on the same plate without having them copy the app to a different local location

I tested with just one beta tester to start with and quickly returned to using Dropbox for file delivery only.

In fact, just as a precaution, I zip all Filemaker databases that I am delivering.

Hope this helps someone avoid a database catastrophe!

Robert Bloomfield

• 5. Re: Syncing with Dropbox a two files solution - is this possible?
                  richardcarlton

RIght...OK...well I guess...ther original question of this thread is somewhat different that my comments.  I guess I hijacked the thread.  My fault.   Sorry.  :-)

Yes... Please...Do not open FileMaker files in Dropbox.

Closed files can be moved into..and out of Droxbox...which is what I would like to see us be able to do with GO...to deal with the endless Sandboxing...which currently prevents us from moving files back and forth to remote locations easily.

If we could move files to a remote location...then a remote machine could grab up a pile of FileMaker files...and "could" merge them together, etc.   That would be a bit of a hack...but a sync of sorts.   Another use for Dropbox.

• 6. Re: Syncing with Dropbox a two files solution - is this possible?
                    melastudio

Dropbox support from fmi is less probable than a support for the iCloud of apple...

It would be a great new feature...