9 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2012 8:14 AM by ucensys01

checkbox sets

ucensys01

My question is regarding fields. I am using FileMaker Pro 12.

I have a two checkbox sets on my layout that display data. One checkbox set is "Color" which has four choices (user can choose

multiple choices) and the other is "Price" which also has four choices. The problem is, after I save and exit the layout

and when testing the formI am unable to place a checkmark in the checkboxes. The boxes actually look "grayed out". Has

anyone ran across this issue?

Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: checkbox sets
          sparrow_design

Hello,

Sounds like 1 of the following:

1. Select the fields in Layout Mode. Use the Inspector to make sure "Field Entry in Browse Mode" is checked.

2. No records are present? Need to Create a Record or Show All Records.

Cheers,

David

• 2. Re: checkbox sets
            ucensys01

Hi David,

Thank you for the reply. I looked into option 1 and found that the "Field Entry in Browse Mode" is checked. Could you clarify #2? I have one "dummy" record in the database. Not sure if that is what you were referring to. I have included a screen capture showing the section I am having trouble with.Figure_2.png

Best,

Chris

• 3. Re: checkbox sets
              digital-carpentry

Can't tell much from the screenshot, looks like everything should work fine.  Here are a few more things to check (the two above would have been my first guesses as well:

You are in Browse mode right?

Are you able to type into the other fields?

Are these fields in this table, or a related table (if related, make sure creation of related records is turned on)

Are there validation requirements or other settings on those fields that could be causing problems?  If so turn them off  just to check.

• 4. Re: checkbox sets
                ucensys01

Hello,

Thank you for responding to my problem. Regarding your suggestions:

You are in Browse mode right?

Yes, I am in Browse mode

Are you able to type into the other fields?

I am able to type into the other fields

Are these fields in this table, or a related table (if related, make sure creation of related records is turned on)

The fields are in the table (see screen capture). I have included another screen capture. Hopefully, this one helps..:-)

Are there validation requirements or other settings on those fields that could be causing problems?  If so turn them off  just to check.

There are no known validation reqs or other settings that could be causing the problem.

With this in mind, maybe I should start from scrtach and try to recreate the checkbox fields.

Figure_3.png

• 5. Re: checkbox sets
                  digital-carpentry

Well from the screenshot you really can't tell what table the fields are stored in, just that they are displayed on this layout.

What part of the layout are these on, do they happen to be in the header? or in the body?

Can you post the file and let us look at it?

• 6. Re: checkbox sets
                    sparrow_design

Hello,

I opened yoyr demo_file and see the problem...the checkboxes in CORE_Nav Layout (context = C_Contact) ARE from related Table ( CORE_Financials ), and John Doe's mrn and last name do not match any C_F records - so create or change one to match Johnny's and your golden. Cheers,

David

• 7. Re: checkbox sets
                      digital-carpentry

That makes sense, and it's what I was thinking had to be the case.  Related records can only be accessed if there is a record in the other table related to the record you are on.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: checkbox sets
                        ucensys01

Thank you David. Your answer worked perfectly. I am "golden"..

Best,

Chris

• 9. Re: checkbox sets
                          ucensys01

Thank you for all of your help. I was able to get this working properly. I appreciate you and David hanging in there with me..