13 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2012 7:32 AM by Paul Jansen

Hidden Tabs in FM12?

Extensitech

We use hidden tabs in many of our solutions. In order to ensure that the users don't accidentally switch tabs, we cover the tabs with another, single-tab tab panel.

It appears that in FM12, this no longer prevents users from switching tabs on the tab panel in the back.

Has anyone yet found another way to block the back tab panel?

Chris Cain

FileMaker 11 Certified Developer

Extensitech, LLC

ccain@extensitech.com

www.extensitech.com

• 1. Re: Hidden Tabs in FM12?
          TomHays

Overlaying a web viewer (with a custom calculated url of URL = "") will do the trick.

Uncheck all configuration checkboxes. Specify no outline to present an invisible box.

Overlay the box over just the row of tabs to inhibit mouse clicks and allow interaction with the tab's contents.

-Tom

• 2. Re: Hidden Tabs in FM12?
            jormond

Did you try just setting the tab width to zero?

• 3. Re: Hidden Tabs in FM12?
              Extensitech

When you do, the "zero" width is still clickable (it's really a pixel or two). This may not prevent accidental clicking, but has the nice effect of making it hard to switch tabs while in layout mode.

• 4. Re: Hidden Tabs in FM12?
                Stephen Huston

We set our hidden tabs to all have no (empty) text title, have a fixed width of "0" (zero) AND align Right. This did it for us in 11 and it converted cleanly into 12 without changes.

• 5. Re: Hidden Tabs in FM12?
                  jormond

I would test it in 12.  I've not been able to "click" it with a zero width with the real quick testing I've done.  If you leave the line width, you can see it, but I've been unable to click it.

In 11, if you do zero width tab, with no line width...it was NOT clickable. I see the same behavior with 12.

• 6. Re: Hidden Tabs in FM12?
                    Extensitech

Hmmm. I don't know what I was doing differently before, but now I see that that works. Kewl! Thank you!

• 7. Re: Hidden Tabs in FM12?
                      Stephen Huston

And if you align RIGHT, the visible thin tabs disappear!

• 8. Re: Hidden Tabs in FM12?
                        pmconaway

I'm intriged about the use of hidden tabs after reading this thread. How do you guys use the hidden tabs?

Paul

• 9. Re: Hidden Tabs in FM12?
                          Stephen Huston

I use them so that I can assign object names to each panel and control them via  buttons and/or scripts, rather than allowing the user to access them directly. Also saves screen space otherwise used on the tab area in tight layouts, or allows me to use a group of vertical text labels along an edge of the screen to change the content in the central (tab) area of the layout.

With the tab color set to same color as the background, no lines, no embossing, the tab area simply becomes an undifferentiated area of the layout like any other, but with content changing based on the text item picked from the text obejcts (buttons). It can give the impression of separate layouts rather than a tab area, but it's still a single layout.

• 10. Re: Hidden Tabs in FM12?
                            Paul Jansen

pmconaway wrote:

I'm intriged about the use of hidden tabs after reading this thread. How do you guys use the hidden tabs?

Paul

I use hidden tabs to

• get script control over who can access what tab
                            • hide tabs that are not relevant
                            • have more attractive tabs ( in my opinion) 

There are loads of alternative ways for the user to 'select' a tab once you have them under script control - a drop down list or menu, for example, is very space efficient

regards

Paul Jansen

• 11. Re: Hidden Tabs in FM12?
                              DavidJondreau

I use them to present a different interface for Finds without leaving the layout (using an OnModeEntry trigger).

• 12. Re: Hidden Tabs in FM12?
                                LSNOVER

Interesting, folks.  Is there a way to dynamically change the Tab Text and or make them visible via Script?

• 13. Re: Hidden Tabs in FM12?
                                  Paul Jansen

Lee,

LeeSnover wrote:

Interesting, folks.  Is there a way to dynamically change the Tab Text and or make them visible via Script?

I have just finished implementing just this capability.  I am now able to selectively show tabs depending on a user preference/permissions table.  Obviously the user is not seeing the actual tab labels; I am using invisible tabs with global fields/ buttons to display a tab names and enable navigation.  It is also possible change the order of the tabs programmatically.

See attached images of a single layout with more or less tabs showing

Regards

Paul Jansen

PS This is an 11 solution converted to 12 so there are a few alignment issues - noticeably the vertical alignment of the button text