1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2017 2:38 PM by jwmickelson

FMServer Error 799 and 808 (Progressive Backup System Related Errors)

richardcarlton

Hi All,

I have a very reliable server running SSD, etc. Assuming that I am not loosing bits somewhere…what would cause the progressive backups system to TOTALLY FAIL. This GTC file is pretty basic…but it is HEAVY in remote containers…with several being 1 Gig movies.

- Richard

Screen shot 2012-05-07 at 11.03.51 PM.png

• 1. Re: FMServer Error 799 and 808 (Progressive Backup System Related Errors)
          wimdecorte

Hi Richard,

What's the interval for the progressive backup set?

I wonder if the "removed_by_fms" is a clue: were any files removed through the console inbetween intervals?

• 2. Re: FMServer Error 799 and 808 (Progressive Backup System Related Errors)
            richardcarlton

Hi Wim,

The intervals are set for 1 minute.  They write directly onto the same boot drive as everyting else.  Also, no files were removed trough the console in between the intervals.

- Richard

• 3. Re: FMServer Error 799 and 808 (Progressive Backup System Related Errors)
              KeithProctor

Richard, Hi!!  I think Wim has the idea here.  I don't believe it's a total failure.  You can see this by checking out the following.

1.  Look at the Removed by FMS folder. 

You should see the failed log files in this folder.  They have the original files name in them

2.  Then check the incremental backup TimeStamped folders and see if those files are included.

Note I'd expect that they are.

Also to support this there should be 2 more messages in the log.  One that basically states that the file was removed from iBackup and another that states the the was added back into the back.  The error in this case forces a full backup of a specific file.  I think your in the office in the next couple days I can get the follow up details from you then or email me directly.

• 4. Re: FMServer Error 799 and 808 (Progressive Backup System Related Errors)
                wimdecorte

Given the size of the data, the 1-minute increments may be too tight.  Could it be that FMS can not finish simply writing the changes log before it is asked to roll those into the backups?

• 5. Re: FMServer Error 799 and 808 (Progressive Backup System Related Errors)
                  richardcarlton

Hi Keith.  Here are the 4 Log entries.  Basically... we way I read the log...the Progressive Backups are blow...since logs tell me to manually go remove the files and trash them.   So I shut the FMS down...through out the entire Progressive directory contents...and restarted the box.

Here are the 4 logs...

2012-05-07 21:43:33     Server Events     Error     Unable to apply changes from backup log "filemac:/Boot Drive/FMS Progressive Backups/Changes_FMS/Interval_63472048953255771/GTC_Marketing_campaign1015591_208884.fxl". Progressive backup for database "GTC_Marketing_campaign" is disabled. (10706)

2012-05-07 21:43:33     Server Events     Error     Unable to read backup log. To free disk space, manually delete "filemac:/Boot Drive/FMS Progressive Backups/Removed_by_FMS/GTC_Marketing_campaign1015591_208884.fxl". (10709)

2012-05-07 21:44:33     Server Events     Error     Unable to read backup log. To free disk space, manually delete "filemac:/Boot Drive/FMS Progressive Backups/Removed_by_FMS/GTC_Marketing_campaign1015656_208890.fxl". (10709)

• 6. Re: FMServer Error 799 and 808 (Progressive Backup System Related Errors)
                    richardcarlton

Also...for the record...I read somewhere that the FMI approved procedure for correcting Progressive Backups...when they go sideways...is to turn PB off...then remove the folders and then turn back on.

Hmmm....I think that was in the KB somewhere.

Anyway I am in Santa Clara the next two days...so let me know if you can hook up to discuss this.

Also...the GTC files is small...and the attached media...is huge.  So would PB choke if a large upload to a Remote Container was underway...and the PB tried to run?

Anyway...if you want remote access...to tear into the command line on the box...let me know...and I can let you in...for some pillaging.

- RC

rick@rcconsulting.com

• 7. Re: FMServer Error 799 and 808 (Progressive Backup System Related Errors)
                      KeithProctor

I'm at work today.  I'll see you at lunch then?

Keith

• 8. Re: FMServer Error 799 and 808 (Progressive Backup System Related Errors)
                        richardcarlton

Ok,

So I just had a second server...idential configuration...do the same exact thing.   So this is not a hardware issue...or a Database issue on my side.  Plus these files are similar size...but with almost zero Remote Containers.  Less than 10 users on the server.   less than 400 megs of databases, 2 megs of cache.

OSX 10.7.3

So this sounds more like a bug now...than some sort of weird Richard Carlton induced problem.

- RC

2012-05-10 12:08:17.489 -0700Error799Server - DBW03 - FMS12Unable to apply changes from backup log "filemac:/Boot Drive/FMS Progressive Backups/Changes_FMS/Interval_63472273637247035/Sales_Beaver_SBC_SBE1863646_22659.fxl". Progressive backup for database "Sales_Beaver_SBC_SBE" is disabled. (10706)

2012-05-10 12:08:17.491 -0700Error808Server - DBW03 - FMS12Unable to read backup log. To free disk space, manually delete "filemac:/Boot Drive/FMS Progressive Backups/Removed_by_FMS/Sales_Beaver_SBC_SBE1863646_22659.fxl". (10709)

2012-05-10 12:09:17.541 -0700Error808Server - DBW03 - FMS12Unable to read backup log. To free disk space, manually delete "filemac:/Boot Drive/FMS Progressive Backups/Removed_by_FMS/Sales_Beaver_SBC_SBE1863814_22681.fxl". (10709)
                        • 9. Re: FMServer Error 799 and 808 (Progressive Backup System Related Errors)
                          wimdecorte

Maybe not a bug... the "To free disk space..." mention could be a clue: how much free disk space on the drive(s)?  Keep in mind that PB needs and additional 3 times the size of the solution plus additional space for temp files.  PB only deletes the oldest backup when the newest one is done, hence the 3.

• 10. Re: FMServer Error 799 and 808 (Progressive Backup System Related Errors)
                            richardcarlton

Hi Wim,

So it turns out ... that this is a known issue with FMI.

Also...what is interesting...although the log does not explicitly tell you this...

FMS...auto recovers from this condition (nothing to do with recover command folks)..and after a few cycles of the Progressive Backups...FMS will resume backing up the affected file...with progressive backups. 

So if you see this...its a bug...but its not a show stopper...  for most people....as FMS will correct issue after a bit ... Progressive Backups will resume for the affected file.   Of course it would habe been nice for the log to tell you that.

Also...incidentally...FMI engineering toyed with the idea of having Progressive backups log all their activity...but early on...they found that this overwhelmed the log...and made it largely unusable.

So Progressive backups will log their initial start up...and then make log entries if they go sideways...but beyond that...they don't write to the logs.

- Richard Carlton

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: FMServer Error 799 and 808 (Progressive Backup System Related Errors)
                              BeatriceBeaubien

Thanks for the heads-up, Rick.

Beatrice Beaubien, PhD

i2eye, Toronto, Canada

FileMaker Business Alliance

FileMaker 11 Certified Developer

Knowledge Translation Certified Professional

• 12. Re: FMServer Error 799 and 808 (Progressive Backup System Related Errors)
                                wimdecorte

Thanks for tracking it down!   So the disk space mention in the logs was a total red herring?

• 13. Re: FMServer Error 799 and 808 (Progressive Backup System Related Errors)
                                  HOnza

I am now experiencing the same issue with one of our databases - very occasionally.

Richart, thanks for finding this out with FMI folds.

It's unfortunate that although this is a know issue it cannot be found in the FMI's knowledge base...

Wim: The disk space mention is IMHO just telling you that the failed backup log remains on the disk occupying its space (in the Removed_by_FMS folder) and you have to delete it manually.

HOnza

• 14. Re: FMServer Error 799 and 808 (Progressive Backup System Related Errors)
                                    ariley

Hi All,

I've been experiencing the same issue on FM Server 12.0.5. I have the interval set to 5 minutes and the backups are saved to another (1TB) drive, that has tons of space.

Today I got two warnings within 2 minutes of each other then it's been quiet for the last 15.

Hope this helps,

Agi

1 2 Previous Next