AnsweredAssumed Answered

Sync FM Go and FMP 12

Question asked by harringg on May 11, 2012
Latest reply on May 13, 2012 by harringg

I'm really trying to keep this as simple as possible just to see if I can get it to work. I have asked in several places on the FMP forums how to mimic Bento's syncing, update a record on my iOS when away from my home network, and sync and it updates the records in my desktop app when I get back home. I'm told to use port forwarding, keep my desktop app (which is on a laptop that isn't always on), and "use a script", but no further specifics.

I'm following the directions in this PDF: http://www.filemaker.com/support/product/docs/filemaker-go/fmgo_development.pdf (Pages 7 and 8). I know this question relates to getting records from the desktop (Examle 1: 1-6), but again, just trying to do it systematically. Once it's working, I'll continue on with pushing from iPad to desktop (Example 2: 1-6)

Here are my notes as recorded following the steps. Clearly I'm missing something, have something configured wrong, or the instructions aren't clear. I'm running FMP 12 on 10.7.4 and FileMaker Go 12 on the iPad 2 (wi-fi only)

New File:

aSource.fmp12

Field1:Name

Field2:Cost

File>Sharing>FileMaker Network>On>All Users>10.0.1.11

New File:

aTarget.fmp12

Field1:Name

Field2:Cost

File>Sharing>FileMaker Network>On>All Users>10.0.1.11

aTarget.fmp12

Scripts>Manage Scripts>New (Import From Remote)

Import Records (double-click)

fmnet:/10.0.1.11/aSource.fmp12

Perform without dialog (check)

Specify (Click)

Name-->Name

Cost-->Cost

Add New Records (only option, everything else is greyed out)

OK

Results in:

Import Records [No Dialog; "aSource.fmp12"; Add; Mac Roman]

Save

Close aTarget.fmp12

Email aTarget.fmp12 to iPad

Open aTarget.fmp12 on iPad

Add record in aSource.fmp12 (in FMP 12, desktop app), Joe, 1

Run Script on iPad (Updates records on iPad to Joe, 1)

Run Script again on iPad (Updates records on iPad to Joe, 1, Joe, 1) This is not what I want! I know why it's happening, the script is "Add" only, but why not the Update option as in the PDF?

Add record in aSource.fmp12, Jane, 2, John, 3

Run Script on iPad

(Updates records on iPad to Joe, 1, Joe, 1, Joe, 1, Jane, 2, John, 3)

So it's keeping the first two Joe, 1 records and now adding the new ones (Jane, 2, John, 3)

Any guideance would be appreciated.

Outcomes