3 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2012 12:40 PM by Mike_Mitchell

How do I setup one file to see info in another file automatically?

garyavischious

Open remote works great for one file, but is it possible to setup two open remotes of the same file. What I really want to do is to have two different files see data and update automatically, like a remote file does. It's probably simple but I'm missing something. For now just wanting to do it on the same machine for testing, but will have them on different machines shortly.

• 1. Re: How do I setup one file to see info in another file automatically?
          Mike_Mitchell

Gary -

Do you mean you want two copies of the same file on two different servers?

Mike

• 2. Re: How do I setup one file to see info in another file automatically?
            garyavischious

I want to create data in one file and be able to view it in different layouts in two other files.  Basically create data and view it in dashboard or summary formats in two others.  Works great with opening remote, but I only get one view and one mouse.  If they were seperate files or on different machines that would give me the capablility to create it in one, and change views of it in others.

• 3. Re: How do I setup one file to see info in another file automatically?
              Mike_Mitchell

You can do this by using what we call the "separation model". You have two files. One has the data you want to see. The other will be the file from which you want to see it.

Start by creating the file with your data in it. Build all the goodies for entering data. Once that's done, build a completely separate file. On your Relationships Graph, create table occurrences (TOs) for the tables in the first file. They'll show up with their table names in italics (to indicate that they're externally referenced). You'll need to create an external data source for the first file, which you can do at the time you create the first TO:

extDataSource.png

Once you have the TOs for the tables you want from your data file, you can use them just like they were in the interface file. You can build layouts, reference them in calculations in scripting, whatever.

Another option would be to open a second window in your existing database. The separation model is normally used when you either want to control the interface for different groups of users, or when you have a solution where you don't want to have to migrate data as often as new releases come out. If there's no need really to have a second file, then you can just have another window that looks at the same file. Each window can navigate to its own layouts, found sets, and so forth. That might be all you need.

HTH

Mike