1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2012 12:38 PM by fmpros

Container Storage External HD

crhmac

Hi all.

I have a solution, FM 12 running in FileMaker Server 12, with a Mac Mini Server 2 Hds.

Using the FMS the store Files are located in FMS file RC_Data_FMS, default process, but in the same HD.

It is possible to store the files on another drive, the Storage?

Tks

• 1. Re: Container Storage External HD
          Stephen Huston

According to my notes from several webinars and developer sessions:

1. You cannot change the path used for storage after a file has been placed on a server, but you can change the path prior to placing it the server.
          2. In a served environment, the path of Open storage, if changed before it was hosted, still must be a relative path, not an absolute path, or Server won't be able to use it.
          3. If you are using Secure storage, you cannot change the default path set by FileMaker.

Points 2 & 3 appear to preclude storage to separate disks in a hosted environment. Of course, FM Server must have permissions for read/write to any disk storage area used for containers.

Although I don't expect it to work, if anyone has successfully hosted external storage to a separate disk, please let us know how you set it up!

• 2. Re: Container Storage External HD
            wimdecorte

Stephen Huston wrote:

Although I don't expect it to work, if anyone has successfully hosted external storage to a separate disk, please let us know how you set it up!

Not possible. By design.  Not with the file hosted on FMS.

• 3. Re: Container Storage External HD
              Stephen Huston

As I said, "I don't expect it to work"...

but people keep surprising us with the stuff they do get away with in FileMaker, and this wasn't an option I had attempted. 

• 4. Re: Container Storage External HD
                OllyGroves

Not possible. By design.  Not with the file hosted on FMS.

Didn't work for me in single user database yesterday either - interactive inspector setting - container files stored on network drive.  Was ok if files on local machine or inspector setting set to 'images' (ie static). 

Was just couple of hrs helping friend out, may well have been poor network speeds (no time to test) - will test files in my office tmrw. 

However seems FM needs some beefy network connections to play files through interactive player if the files aren't local. (in single user setting)

• 5. Re: Container Storage External HD
                  wimdecorte

OllyGroves wrote:

However seems FM needs some beefy network connections to play files through interactive player if the files aren't local. (in single user setting)

the thing to keep in mind is that FM will treat the container data as if it were internal like before.  So if you have a local FM file and you opt to put your remote container file on a network share, you shouldn't be surprised that performanc goes down significantly.  The network speed is a mere subset of the internal disk I/O speed.  That's a given and has nothing to do with FM at all.  That's just a consequence of your choice.

• 6. Re: Container Storage External HD
                    wimdecorte

OllyGroves wrote:

Didn't work for me in single user database yesterday either - interactive inspector setting - container files stored on network drive. 

The "interactive" setting only comes into play when the file is hosted on FileMaker Server.  You don't get the "interactive" / streaming benefit if the file is not on FMS.

• 7. Re: Container Storage External HD
                      OllyGroves

The "interactive" setting only comes into play when the file is hosted on FileMaker Server.  You don't get the "interactive" / streaming benefit if the file is not on FMS.

Not streaming, but you do get an interactive media player / pdf viewer etc which is pretty useful. (seemingly html5 <video> / <audio> etc under the hood).

An update: I tested the same 1 user database with external files stored on network drive in different office today. All media player/pdfs work fine!

You are right its something on the local machine/network which caused the crashes with the interactive setting & filemaker.    Its a corporate network so could be few things at work i suppose, network speed, protocols, firewalls, 3rd party app clashes, ie. i've just read a grumble Adobe Acrobat Pro elsewhere.

Anyway I can blame his IT, which is nice.

Cheers

Olly

• 8. Re: Container Storage External HD
                        crhmac

Hello Win.

OK is not possible to use a external Storage.

But in the same Machine can i have 2 hds and set the second hd for example to store.

Is possible?

• 9. Re: Container Storage External HD
                          wimdecorte

crhmac wrote:

OK is not possible to use a external Storage.

But in the same Machine can i have 2 hds and set the second hd for example to store.

Is possible?

The FM file and its container data can not be on separate internal drives when the file is hosted.  But with FMS12 you can specify 2 additional folders where FMS will look for FM files (and their RC data) in addition to the default folder.  So you can have your FM file with the RC data on another drive and specify that location in the FMS admin console config.

• 10. Re: Container Storage External HD
                            crhmac

hmm..  but the best solution is have a good server with large Hds?

Or have second  FM File RC data on another drive?

• 11. Re: Container Storage External HD
                              MartinCrosman

I am just starting to look at the use of the new enhanced containers but have been using OpenURL script step in the past to link large document PDF collections to hosted FileMaker database. The document collections were always stored on a remote shared drive/mounted volume.

To migrate these do I now have to move the images to the FileMaker Server drive? Would I manipulate the path field to reflect the new location and have a looping script that would insert these files as  a reference? Or can I set these container files to be calculated based on the new paths.

Thanks

• 12. Re: Container Storage External HD
                                OllyGroves
                                Would I manipulate the path field to reflect the new location and have a looping script that would insert these files as  a reference? Or can I set these container files to be calculated based on the new paths.

Sounds like your currently storing the files as a file reference.  Whether inserted or with a container calc is unclear. 

Basically FM12 gives a 3rd option to emdedded & file refs container  -  the external container. On a basic level its best to think of those the same as emdedded containers just files are stored outside the FM database.   

If you want to move your file reference container to the new FM12 external containers you need script a file import of your file referenced containers files. 

Heres a basic outline of a script to import file referenced containers.  (grab path from 'ContainerOld' and importing into 'ContainerNew')

Go to Layout [ “File_Utility” (File) ]

Go to Record/Request/Page [ First ]

Loop

Set Variable [ $filePath; Value:GetValue ( ContainerOld ; ValueCount ( ContainerOld ) ) ]

Insert File [ File::File ContainerNew ; “$filePath” ] [ Storage method: Insert ] [ Display content ] [ Compression: Never compress ]

Go to Record/Request/Page [ Next; Exit after last ]

End Loop

However you need to set base paths, work out how you want to store, folder path calcs if want to organise (non secure) etc. best looking at FM docs & Wim/Stephens doc at FMforums for more info there.

I'd do some homework and testing first to be sure the features will benefit your workflow in its current form. It may not.

I manage 50k media files via file refs and a calc container field and while the auto organisation benefits of calc folders would be nice i'm still evaluating whether its the way to go yet.   However I also manage a lot of contracts via file ref containers and I will be quickly moving those to FM12  secure external containers when I finally upgrade.

Not forgetting Supercontainer as another option. (not used in production myself but lots of folks swear by it)

Cheers

Olly

• 13. Re: Container Storage External HD
                                  MartinCrosman

Thanks. But just to be clear I am not currently storing the files at all in the database. All files are sitting on a drive and they are opened using an OpenURL script. No container fields are used at all. This script uses a file url to go to the file. The path to the location is found in a field in the document record.

• 14. Re: Container Storage External HD
                                    OllyGroves

MartinCrossman wrote:

Thanks. But just to be clear I am not currently storing the files at all in the database. All files are sitting on a drive and they are opened using an OpenURL script. No container fields are used at all. This script uses a file url to go to the file. The path to the location is found in a field in the document record.

Oh ok.  You can create a container as a calculation, then run a script similar to above if want to get them under external container mangement.

the container calc needs to be in filemakers path formats eg. filemac:/  -  filewin:/    (or imagemac:/ etc)

more info here. http://www.filemaker.com/help/html/create_db.8.32.html

1 2 Previous Next