9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2012 12:33 AM by mbust

How to create a runtime solution for Windows Vista

mbust

Hello,

I'm sure this is an enormously easy question, but as I search, I can't find an answer: I have a runtime solution build with FM11Advanced on the Mac (Snow Leopard) that I would like to distribute to a Windows Vista computer. I've done this before without any problems to other Macs, but never to Windows. Moving the files to Windows does not work, as I'm supposed to use an installer, according to what I've found, but this is all the I've found. I don't know what software to use on the Mac to build an installer package that would work on Windows or whether that process will be complicated. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

MB

• 1. Re: How to create a runtime solution for Windows Vista
          wimdecorte

You need a Windows machine to create the runtime on.  You can not create a Windows runtime from a Mac machine.

• 2. Re: How to create a runtime solution for Windows Vista
            doughemi

As Wim said, a Windows runtime must be compiled on a Windows machine.  Your FileMaker installation disc also has a Windows version, so you can install FM on that Windows machine.  You are allowed to have a total of two copies installed, as long as you don't use them simultaneously.  Once there, the procedure to create the runtime is the same as on the Mac.

The reason that an installer is recommended is that there are a slew of .dll and other support files which must be installed along with the YourRuntime.exe and YourRuntime.usr files.  Your runtime users may not be savvy enough to get these in the correct places manually.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How to create a runtime solution for Windows Vista
              Vaughan

doughemi wrote:

The reason that an installer is recommended is that there are a slew of .dll and other support files which must be installed along with the YourRuntime.exe and YourRuntime.usr files.  Your runtime users may not be savvy enough to get these in the correct places manually.

Funny you say that... I just created a FM 11 runtime on WIndows 7, copied the whole runtime folder to a Vista machine, and it works.

So what dlls need to be moved where? I've been through the FMP 11 Advanced Development Guide and it is not explicit. Page 10 mentions that a compression utility program could be used rather than an installer if the solution is not complex.

• 5. Re: How to create a runtime solution for Windows Vista
                Malcolm

Funny you say that... I just created a FM 11 runtime on WIndows 7, copied the whole runtime folder to a Vista machine, and it works.

A cynic might say that Windows 7 is Vista with the bugs removed.

Malcolm

• 6. Re: How to create a runtime solution for Windows Vista
                  doughemi

Yes, the .dlls are in the runtime folder.  As long as your users understand that the whole folder must be installed, everything's fine. 

• 7. Re: How to create a runtime solution for Windows Vista
                    Vaughan

So as long as the WHOLE folder is copied to the user's hard disk, and the exe is opened directly, then all will be well?

I'm trying to get a demo solution to a client running windows and it is unbelievably difficult. My first plan was for them to run the trial version of FMP but it seems thay installed that some time ago and it's coming up with an "expired" message.

While I have your attention, does the runtime in FM 12 allow the close command? Ijust read the docs and it seems not, but I have a recollection from the seminars that it does.

Tx.

• 8. Re: How to create a runtime solution for Windows Vista
                      user17434

I partition my mac, so that i have a windows "side".....develop the solution on the mac side, load it onto a thumb drive, boot up the windows side, bind the solution, save the solution to the thumb drive...or just save it in the windows partition (which you can access through your mac)

and i curse every step of the way!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 9. Re: How to create a runtime solution for Windows Vista
                        mbust

Yes, a "terrible" solution, worthy of your cursing, but I like the elegance of not having to have a Windows machine just for that purpose.  And with Parallels, you can treat it as a rally bloated application running on your Mac side.

Great idea.  Thanks.

MB