4 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2012 4:59 PM by Stephen Huston

Updating...

DavidJondreau

I had a client report an incident yesterday that I can't replicate and they don't have the skills the diagnose.

Running FileMaker 11 on Windows 7 connecting to FMSA 11 off site. At some point in the afternoon, "something" happened and an "Updating..." dialog popped up preventing the user from interacting with the computer at all. After 15 minutes, the user force quit the machine.

I don't know if the "Updating..." dialog was actually FMP based or OS level, but I suspect FMP. The users don't have the computer knowledge to distinguish between the two or to describe what they were doing before the

I've tested the db extensively before release and never encountered that. I think I've seen "updating" on a Replace[] but I've already removed that from the menus and don't have it in any scripts. Any ideas what would cause that?

• 1. Re: Updating...
          wimdecorte

I would guess there was a script running a "replace" script step.  Check your code for where that may be,  If it acted on more records than intended that would be a problem...

• 2. Re: Updating...
            Stephen Huston

Updating is also llikely if there is any looping script, especially if it edits values which trigger any other auto-enter/evaluate changes to other fields.

We found that WAN connections were so slow for some of the Loop or Replace processes that we tested for the user's connection address and kept WAN connections from running such processes so they wouldn't be tied up for 20–30 minutes on a process that took 1/10th as long on LAN.

• 3. Re: Updating...
              jormond

And of course the distinct possibility that the dialog didn't actually say "Updating" but something completely different.

I know, not helpful...but that is the scenario I'm working on at the moment.  A dialog that is not FM related, OS related, or a custom dialog I created.  A somewhat "some box popped up, I don't know what it said, I just closed it and rebooted". lol

• 4. Re: Updating...
                Stephen Huston

I.E. - I saw the script was taking a while so I decided to run my system updates while I waited...