1 Reply Latest reply on May 24, 2012 9:17 AM by Stephen Huston

FM Server 11 Advanced - restart problem

dburnham

I have a problem that is not an emergency, but I don't know what should be done to remedy it.

The server hardware is running Windows 2003 Server and FileMaker Server Advanced 11 is hosting a few dozen databases. From time to time, I see that one of the server-side scripts has stalled, and the Admin Console reports "Running" but it isn't actually running, in fact the last time it ran was hours ago instead of every 3 minutes on its recurring interval. Most of the time, it runs perfectly, every three minutes, but I don't know what causes it to stall every few days.

I've tried without success to stop and restart the FMS Database Server, but it takes so long to wait for the Database Server to restart that I just conclude it won't re-start and I resort to rebooting the server (hardware).

When the server (hardware) restarts, everything boots up normally, except for the FMS Database Server. The Web Publishing Engine starts up fine, but the Database Server does not. If I open the Admin Console I can manually start the Database Server and after it verifies all the databases everything is running properly. That is, until the next time that this one server-side script stalls.

In the logs, the only thing I find relative to the problematic server-side script is the "Information" entry that says "scripting error (401)" which is a no-records found condition in the course of the running of the script. This is a condition that is anticipated in the normal behavior of the script: it performs a FIND command and then performs certain additional steps if the found count >0. The script begins with Error Capture turned on, so the script is not interrupted by no records found. Also, I tried adding a Get(LastError) step as a way of suppressing the log entry, but I would like to find a different way of treating the 401 error as normal.

So I'm asking a 3 questions, in order of importance:

1. What could be preventing the Database Server from restarting automatically when the server (the computer) is rebooted? I'd like to be able to reboot the hardware and not have to be on stand-by for the next 5-10 minutes to launch the Admin Console and manually start up the Database Server. Just as important as "what is preventing it?" is: What can be done to solve this problem?
      2. I have tried to examine the logs to see what would cause a server-side script to stall with the status "Running" and then resist all attempts to Disable and then Enable it again. It seems as if the only solution to this problem is to reboot the hardware. But I would like to be able to troubleshoot the script. Since it usually runs perfectly 480 times per day, I don't know what to examine to correct this issue.
      3. Is there a way to revise the script so that the 401 error does not occur when a FIND command produces zero records?
        • 1. Re: FM Server 11 Advanced - restart problem
          Stephen Huston

Do you have Error Capture set ON immediately before the step to perform the Find which may return a null found set? I have found that the placement of the error capture can be important.

However, even with Error Capture ON,  error 401 will be thrown on a found set of Zero. Error Capture simply supresses the user notification of this error instead of indicating that no records were found via a dialog. Because the user is the Server, and it still tracks the error in the log, but the script should continue running.

Can you post your Script for us to read?