6 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2012 9:48 AM by Stephen Huston

How to get print a PDF in FMP 12 for Windows?

WBullard

All I want to do is use a container field to hold a one page PDF, then I want to print that PDF on a one page report layout.

I've changed the report layout to "Classic" to get rid of as much formating as possible, but it doesn't work in Windows 7. It does work to a degree on Mac 10.7.4 but a gray background appears.

Have other people had similar or different experiences?

Thanks,
      Will

• 1. Re: How to get print a PDF in FMP 12 for Windows?
          wimdecorte

The best approach would be to use the script step "export field contents", followed by a
          "send event" script step using the print option and feeding it the same location as used by the export script step.

This way the default windows app configured for handling PDFs will take care of the printing and you don't have to worry about your layout.

• 2. Re: How to get print a PDF in FMP 12 for Windows?
            WBullard

Thank you for your response. I understand how your suggestion would resolve the issue of just getting the PDF document to print in Windows. Unfortunately, I need to have header and footer information to print on the same document as the PDF image. On the Mac you can do this in FMP12.

I've been doing this succesfully for years using 360Works SuperContainer on Macs & PCs. It is a fine product, but the most recent versions require that you modify system files if you want to access the images remotely. I was hoping FMP 12 was going to make working with PDFs easier. I will for some, but not for me. At least it won't until the Windows version of FMP has the same printing ability as the Mac version.

Yet another reason to scratch your head and wonder if they were right to release 12 when they did.

• 3. Re: How to get print a PDF in FMP 12 for Windows?
              thomas_staehli

So just to understand this properly, you have a container field that allows users to view the pdf directly inside ( set up as interactive content  ? ) and you want them to be able to print the pdf directly from that container field?

• 4. Re: How to get print a PDF in FMP 12 for Windows?
                WBullard

My clients have a lot of one page PDF files that we like to print on a report layout with a header and footer. In FMP12 on a Mac you can do this. The border space of the container field is filled with gray when I would prefer transparent, but at least it prints. The same PDF file in FMP12 on a PC doesn't appear at all.

Any ideas?

• 5. Re: How to get print a PDF in FMP 12 for Windows?
                  jrenfrew

Idea

Save the PDF to a container field.

Add a Get(Thumbnail) from the PDF to another container field which is ON the layout with the header and footer. (This can be OVESIZED but with FitTo on field)

Print.

• 6. Re: How to get print a PDF in FMP 12 for Windows?
                    Stephen Huston

There have been other reports related to unwanted borders when printing. The best/most likely solution (if any ) is to select the container field in layout mode, use the Remove-theme-formating button in the inspector,

layoutTools.png

and then manually set the field to transparent or white, and set lines/borders to white and Zero-width.

There may still be layout artifacts you can't get rid of in 12 according to some reports.