11 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2012 4:12 AM by petrisiitonen

fmp11 > fmp12 bug?

petrisiitonen

Hi,

I have a portal that has a checkbox field with a few values in it. Works fine in fmp11.

Now, when I convert the file to fmp12 the checkbox is still there, but only the FIRST value is shown UNLESS I click on on the field (I guess this is called InFocus in 12 layout).

All checkbox values are visible in this field ok until I click elsewhere.

Anybody with a fix/workaround to this?

PetriS

• 1. Re: fmp11 > fmp12 bug?
          thomas_staehli

Hi,

Is the checkbox field based on a value list with custom values or with values from a table? If it's from a table, do you get the values through a relationship?

Thomas

• 2. Re: fmp11 > fmp12 bug?
            petrisiitonen

Hi Thomas,

checkbox field is values from a table through a relationship.

In reality these are screen numbers of cinema theaters that are listed per country.

PetriS

• 3. Re: fmp11 > fmp12 bug?
              thomas_staehli

how's the relationship set up ? can you be a bit more specific about the different tables involved, the fields used for the relationship?

• 4. Re: fmp11 > fmp12 bug?
                petrisiitonen

Hi Thomas,

I separated this issue from the original database and made a new small fmp12 file.

What would be the best way to send it to you? It is only 10 kb.

I still get wierd behavior when trying to select screens. Would be nice to hear what you can make out of it.

PetriS

• 5. Re: fmp11 > fmp12 bug?
                  thomas_staehli

You can attach it directly to your post by using the advanced editor

• 6. Re: fmp11 > fmp12 bug?
                    petrisiitonen

Thanks Thomas,

here you are and now I know!

PetriS

• 7. Re: fmp11 > fmp12 bug?
                      thomas_staehli

Okay one thing really wrong I can see here:

Showing the screen field from the screens table in the theater portal will show only the first screen linked to the theater and not a list of all the screen. The checkbox set will require a list of the screens.

Now for the value list itself, you're right, filemaker 12 seems generate the value list only using the first related record (Theater 1) and show it everywhere. And when you click on the second related record it generates and shows the correct value list for the second record ( Theater 2 ). This is really annoying... I really hope this is a bug and not a feature and that they'll fix it in the next update

Filemaker 11 used to show the right value list content on each related record.

To make this work as it should there are a lot of different solutions depending  on what you need this layout to do (only show information,print out a list, being able to make modification and uncheck screens, search by screen numbers, etc...)

I attached a modified version of your sample with one example. Here are the modifications I did:

- I added an calculated field in the theater table that does the following : List ( Screens::screen )

- I modified the theater layout adding a sub-summary when sorted by country, and added my calculated field on it with the checkbox set using the existing value list you created.

This might not be exactly what you're looking for but it might give you ideas (don't forget to sort by country...). Don't hesitate to ask if you want other example on how to deal with this issue

• 8. Re: fmp11 > fmp12 bug?
                        ocolamonici

I am not sure if this is directly related with the issue you are discussing, but when I transferred a solution from 11 to 12 a couple of custom value lists were crashing the program.  I had to delete both value lists and create fresh ones to solve the problem.  Hope this might help.

Oscar

• 9. Re: fmp11 > fmp12 bug?
                          petrisiitonen

Thanks for trying Thomas, but it seems my original problem is still there, Theater B shows only 2 out of 3 screens unless you click on it.

In the working fmp11 file I have the user can select the screens they want to show there movie. After their selection is done I am running a server script to mail the info to hundred of theaters automatically.

PetriS

• 10. Re: fmp11 > fmp12 bug?
                            petrisiitonen

Thanks Oscar, but it infact seems that the problem persists even is you make a new fmp12 file with this approach.

PetriS

• 11. Re: fmp11 > fmp12 bug?
                              petrisiitonen

Sorry, my bad Thomas. List -function does the job ok. I just need to use it the way client can pick the screens.

Thanks,

PetriS