2 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2012 4:38 PM by steve_ssh

Separation model and IWP - credential storage has to be done in UI file?

Mike_Mitchell

Good day. I'm doing a project for a small nonprofit, my first such project, and since they're on a tight budget, they're interested in using IWP. I'm attempting to use separation model for this project, as the program they manage is in constant flux and requires frequent changes to reports and business logic. I've run into something of a snag.

My usual method for dealing with user accounts in this environment is to store the user accounts in the data file and put a dummy account on the UI file. This allows users to log into the UI file automatically and then be prompted for their credentials on the data side, which then automatically logs them back into the UI file with an appropriate account. Works great in the FileMaker client and on Go. However, it's throwing me a curve on IWP. It appears that, since IWP doesn't have the ability to throw up a credential dialog (hands up for anyone who knows why, since JavaScript is perfectly capable of doing this), it's unable to prompt for credentials into the second file when the first file's credentials don't work.

As a result, when the user-level account logs in, it simply throws up "file missing" in all fields. Far from satisfactory. I can't even log in with the data file's credentials, because apparently my Relogin script doesn't work; clicking on my "Open UI File" button does nothing.

Any advice on how to handle this situation in IWP? I really don't want to go to a unified model in this particular case; the client's program changes more frequently than I change socks, and this is one time where I actually like the separation model. And I'd really prefer not to have to store the accounts in the UI file and have to have all the users reset their passwords after every upgrade.

Oh - I'm in a Windows environment, Windows 7 specifically, running version 12. Just in case that matters.

Thanks.

Mike