10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2012 9:22 AM by MartinCrosman

FM12 as a data source in Word

MartinCrosman

I am using Word 2008 for the mac. With an fp7 file I could point to a Filemaker file as a data source in the mail merge manager of Word, however, this does not appear to recognize FM12 as a viable source. Does anyone know if this has been updated in later version of Word/Office or if there is any kind of update for this?

Thanks

Martin

• 1. Re: FM12 as a data source in Word
          taylorsharpe

Have you set up your ODBC properly and given it a proper system DSN?  Can any other ODBC compliant programs see FileMaker?

• 2. Re: FM12 as a data source in Word
            MartinCrosman

Not sure. In Word 2008 for the Mac if you open the Mail Merger Manager one of the choices for a data source is FileMaker Pro. This was a default setting in my case. When I then use the Mail Merger Manager to navigate to where the source is I can see .fp7 files but not the .fmp12 files. On the FileMaker Pro 11 install I did nothing to set this up, it appeared as a default. Are you saying I need to make sure ODBC is configured for FM12.

Do you have Word for the Mac on your computer? Do you see this option in the Mail Merger Manager? For fp7 files, fmp12 files or both?

Thanks

Martin Crossman

• 3. Re: FM12 as a data source in Word
              taylorsharpe

Ahhh, I didn't realize Word 2008 would directly import fp7 files.  You're more likely to have luck with Word 2011 if there has been an updated since fmp12 came out.  But fmp12 is so new, I doubt there is an update yet.  Without an update, you either have to export from FileMaker into something Word can read such as XLS or TXT, or you have to set up an ODBC connection, which is a wee bit more complicated.  I Googled around a bit, but didn't find anywhere that Word 2011 supported fmp12 yet.  It is a totally different format and that is the issue.  So my recommendation is to try exporting from FileMaker to XLS and the merging with that export. 

• 4. Re: FM12 as a data source in Word
                MartinCrosman

Thanks. I realize it is a new format and was looking to see if anyone else had come across a patch for Word or something or if mileage differed from Word 2008.

Some other choices are also to use Scribe plug in or Ezxslt tool. The more recent versions and MacOS also have a gotcha with XLS files as that is no longer supported just xlsx.

Thanks again

• 5. Re: FM12 as a data source in Word
                  taylorsharpe

I'm using Word 2011 and I tried the Mail Merge where it has the FileMaker import option and it only supports .fp7.  I made sure I have all the latest Word updates.  So upgrading to Word 2011 won't fix this problem for you.  But it would fix your ability to read XLSX files since FileMaker won't export XLS anymore.  But you can always export from FileMaker 12 as comma separate (TXT), tab separated (TAB), or DBF (which Excel convert to XLS for you) to merge with Word 2008.  I know it is not ideal, but it sounds like the only workaround shy of doing an ODBC connection, which only works if you have FileMaker Server. 

Sorry that I don't have any better information for you. 

• 6. Re: FM12 as a data source in Word
                    PowerSlave

Another variation of what you are doing is a server scheduled script exporting the data as CSV , then use the generic ODBC text driver to put the data into word. This negates the need to install the (still) flaky ODBC Filemaker client driver, but it does the job and is good for things like mass mailing and printing.

• 7. Re: FM12 as a data source in Word
                      beverly

reminder, the ".mer" export is ".csv" export with the field names in the first row. You can change the extension from .mer to .csv and the text driver can be used.

Beverly

• 8. Re: FM12 as a data source in Word
                        beverly

EzXSLT had not been updated for recent OS's. Check for compatibility.

Beverly

• 9. Re: FM12 as a data source in Word
                          MartinCrosman

Thanks Beverly. Re EzXSLT tried opening in Mac OS X 10.7.3 and doesn't work.

So we lost EzXSLT with the OS upgrade and FileMaker Pro as a data source in Word with Filemaker Pro 12 file format change.

I guess that leaves Scribe as the only plug in solution and the export to CSV merge routines as the best options? I guess there is also fmSpark from the Proof group. I am really looking at solution to mail merge solutions that go beyond merging addresses but allow for merged data and then further text modification to the template document as required.

• 10. Re: FM12 as a data source in Word
                            MartinCrosman

Back to say the Scribe Plug In from 360 Works is working well to build this kind of functionality and my template driven correspondence modules.