2 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2012 12:53 AM by GiancarloMeak

Insert From URL Script Step and Url Encoding

GiancarloMeak

I was very happy because of this new script step but I can't use it since it's change a well formatted URL in something else automatically.

This is part of the url request correctly formatted (if I paste it in a browser or I use scriptmaster, it works)

(1) %09%2B393397186745%09Gentile%20Comandante%20Carlo%20Maaak%2c%0a%0asiamo%20felici….

this is how the Insert From URL Script Step submit it

(2) %09+393397186745%09Gentile%20Comandante%20Carlo%20Maaak,%0A%0Asiamo%20felici….

You may notice, for example, that

%2B that is a "+" correctly URL encoded in the url (1) is "+" in url (2)

%2c that is that is a "," correctly URL encoded in the url (1) is "," in url (2)

If you get into this problem, before wasting a lot of time as I did, I suggest to use the application "wire shark" to see the network traffic, thanks to this application I was able to get string (2)

Any idea to solve the problem?

Thank You

Gianco

• 1. Re: Insert From URL Script Step and Url Encoding
          jmedema

If you can identify patterns in text strings that are replaced by other text strings, you can use the Substitute command to reset them to their original values. This may help address the common, simple substitutions but you'll need to keep an eye out for situations that you have not (yet!) encountered.

All the best,

Jim

www.surefootdata.com

• 2. Re: Insert From URL Script Step and Url Encoding
            GiancarloMeak

Thank you jim,

the problem is that I pass to the "Insert From Url" Script step, %2B but it's send to the server a "+" charcter ("+" = %2B if url encoded) that is uncorrect, I really need to send to the %2B.

It's to late to use the substitute function since it's the last step from FMP to the web server that receives the http requests.

Any idea?

Gianco