2 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2012 12:13 PM by BeatriceBeaubien

Using Internet explorer 6 and 7 with Filemaker 12 server through IWP

Boutsy

Hello,

I have a file made with filemaker advanced 11, hosted on Windows Server 2003 with Filemaker Server advanced 10.

I host this file with IWP. Some of my users use Internet Explorer 6 and 7 and everything works fine.

I've bought filemaker Server Advanced 12 and want to host the same files. In th system requirements I read that the minimum requirement for The internet explorer Browser is version 8 (XP) and 9 (Vista and 7).Since many of my users are working on computers in hospitals they are not able to update their browser in the near future.

My question : If I don't change anything at the files I hosted before on FMSA 10 that is typical for FMPA12, will my users still be able to use Internet Explorer 6 and 7 when I host these files on FMSA 12?

Thank you in advance,

Marc

• 1. Re: Using Internet explorer 6 and 7 with Filemaker 12 server through IWP
          steve.winter

Hi Marc

My understanding is that little (if anything) has actually changed in the delivery of IWP from 11 - 12 - most notably IWP doesn't support themes…

The only way to know for sure is to try it - since you've already bought FMS 12, set it up, take a copy of your file, convert that to 12, put it on the server, and try it in IE 6, if that's successful (which I expect that it will be) then carry on and convert...

Cheers

Steve

• 2. Re: Using Internet explorer 6 and 7 with Filemaker 12 server through IWP
            BeatriceBeaubien

Hi Marc,

Please download

<http://www.filemaker.com/support/product/docs/12/fmp/fm12_instant_web_publish_en.pdf>

I haven't tested it, but in that document you will find the supported browsers listed.

It states

Requirements for accessing FileMaker databases on the web

To work with a published FileMaker Pro database, web users need:

•     a web browser that has JavaScript enabled: Internet Explorer 8, Internet Explorer 9, Safari 5, Firefox.

•     access to the internet or an intranet.

•     the Internet Protocol (IP) address or domain name of the computer that hosts your database file.

Notes

•     These requirements may differ from those of the FileMaker product that hosts the database.

•     Instant Web Publishing is not supported from iOS browsers on iPads, iPhones, or iPods.

•     Instant Web Publishing is not supported from runtime solutions or Kiosk solutions because runtimes cannot be shared over a network.

Hope this helps.

Beatrice Beaubien, PhD

i2eye, Toronto, Canada

FileMaker Business Alliance

FileMaker 11 Certified Developer

Knowledge Translation Certified Professional