1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2012 4:22 AM by KimWood

Is there a way to host files with the same name on server ?

KimWood

I am new to FM server and am running on FM12 (not advanced).

I have a software solution which is made up of 10 different files.

I want 4 different groups/clients to access the file groups, but independently of eachother. ie. set up 4x sets of 10 files - eash set has the same set of file names.

I thought I could create 4 different "folders" and then each group could access those files within the folders, and not interfere witht he others (they each have their own set of access codes).

It appears that this can be done and the database will not allow more than one file of the same name, and despite there being different folders on the DB listing, these dont appear to be separatable.

The way we have done the files has worked well over the years as there has only been one user (on a LAN). We don't want to have to redo all the names of all the files at there are many lookups and scripts, nor do we want to redo everything so that all the files can be under one file - too much work and it means we can't restrict access by certain persons to certain files.

Is there a way to set up different databases on the one machine so each operates independently from eachother ? Or is there a simple solution which I have overlooked ?

I am running server 12 on a Mac. Access is local and via internet.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Kim

• 1. Re: Is there a way to host files with the same name on server ?
          DavidZakary

That sounds like a bit of a nightmare scenario. Why not just use FileMaker's built-in security tools to limit what users can view/edit/add in a single set of files?

If the solution is essentially the same this would be much easier to manager and expand upon in the future than duplicating the entire solution.

• 2. Re: Is there a way to host files with the same name on server ?
            KimWood

Hi David.

The security it not the main issue. I need to effectively duplicate the files 4 times, as the solution will be used by completely different unrelated groups, each entering their own information onto their own database. so each set of files needs to be independent from eachother - picture 4 different servers, each accessed by a different group, but the file names are all the same within each server.  I want to combine them, and more onto the one server.

I hope that makes sense.

• 3. Re: Is there a way to host files with the same name on server ?
              ch0c0halic

Kim may be talking sense and sensitivity,

FMS cannot host 2 files with the same name. Names are used to distinguish which file you are accessing. If the files have the same name then there is no way to determine which file is being accessed.

You can select the group of files in one of the folders and rename all of them using the FMP Advanced - Developer Utilities.

Be sure they are not open in FMS before you rename them. §^=)

• 4. Re: Is there a way to host files with the same name on server ?
                DrewTenenholz

Kim --

You are correct that a single instance of FMServer can only host files with unique names.

I can think of a a couple of ways to solve the problem:

1)   You could have multiple physical or virtual servers, each with their own independent IP address and individually licensed copy of FMServer.  Each runs it's own copy of the solution and you let each client know only their own specific IP address.  You could set up access via an opener file, opener URL, or just have them punch the info into the FMPro 'favorites'.

2) You can use the utilities in FMPro Advanced to take cloned copies of your files and change each file name within your solution to another name without 'binding' the files as a runtime solution.  The utilities take care of updating all of the file references for the entire set of files. You could then host all of the files on the same FMServer.  You can also then use the folders and group access restrictions in FMServer to limit the exposure of other client's file names on the same server. Again, access is eased through the use of an opener file or custom URL.

You could look at off-site hosting like Point-In-Space.  They can't make FMServer do anything more than you can, but they have multiple servers available (and good bandwidth).  If I recall correctly, they do require a customer-specific file naming convention before uploading your files to them....

-- Drew Tenenholz

• 5. Re: Is there a way to host files with the same name on server ?
                  Stephen Huston

I believe you could duplicate a folder of files and use the Developer Tool in FMAdvanced to rename the file. This renaming process with the Dev Tool will repoint their internal data references so they remain enternally consistent as a group.

You could do that with each of the sets of files, then put them onto the same Server after the renaming.

This avoids you have to go in repoint all of the data references manually.

If you think about it, having duplicate names on the server would create a nightmare if allowed, as external data references would fail to discern which of several identically-named files should be opened or used by other files with pointers to that file name.

• 6. Re: Is there a way to host files with the same name on server ?
                    KimWood

Thanks Drew / Ch0c0holic.

The FM Adv renaming option seems like the easy solution here. I will try that.

On the independent IP option - certainly possible - but that means a new version of server each time - ouch.   FM12 server has the option of being installed on "multiple servers" - does this not apply here ? or does it apply to multiple servers all within the same network ?

Another thing.  There is a restriction to 125 files being store on the database.  Do you know if this number can be increased ?

Kim

• 7. Re: Is there a way to host files with the same name on server ?
                      KimWood

Hi Stephen.

I fully understand why they cannot be duplicated - chaos indeed. My solution seemed to be getting the renaming of the files and all their links done. The renaming tool seems to be the short term option. Thanks

• 8. Re: Is there a way to host files with the same name on server ?
                        KimWood

I have tried the rename tool in the Dev Utility section on FM adv. Changing the names of the files was quick and easy. However, the fields within  the file where they were looking up values from another file remained the same and thus showed "file missing"  -  they were still trying to find the field with the old file name.    Do you know af an automatic function that takes care of this as well ?

• 9. Re: Is there a way to host files with the same name on server ?
                          DavidZakary

Not knowing anything about your system - but instead of 10 files, would it be worth considering combining as many as possible?

• 10. Re: Is there a way to host files with the same name on server ?

Hi Kim,

Sounds to me as though you will need something like the search function in the Draconventions plugin.

There may well be other ways but that would be my approach.

John

• 11. Re: Is there a way to host files with the same name on server ?
                              KimWood

Yes,  it is starting to look like we are going to have to condense. 

• 12. Re: Is there a way to host files with the same name on server ?
                                DrewTenenholz

Kim --

I think you may have misued the FMPro Advanced utilities.  If you are talking about field definitions using the basic 'lookup values from' option in the auto-enter dialog box for the field under File>Manage Database, then I believe these should have been corrected by the developer utilities.

The 'trick' is that you must open all of the files as a group in the FMProAdvanced utility at the same time, rename them one-by-one in the dialog box, choose the destination folder, and then click the 'create' button.  If you only open one file and rename it, the utility doesn't know to look in any other files to change their references and field definitions to match the new file name.

Is this what you did and the field definitions are still incorrect?

-- Drew Tenenholz

>I have tried the rename tool in the Dev Utility section on FM adv. Changing the names of the files was quick and easy. However, the fields within  the file where they were looking up values from another file remained the same and thus showed "file missing"  -  they were still trying to find the field with the old file name.    Do you know af an automatic function that takes care of this as well ?

• 13. Re: Is there a way to host files with the same name on server ?
                                  KimWood

Hi Drew.

Confirming, all were open when the change was done.  I have tried again, same result. Everything is there, but where one file is importing  data from other files, it is still looking for the old file name.

• 14. Re: Is there a way to host files with the same name on server ?
                                    DavidZakary

When you do the import are you hard coding the file name in the Add File dialog box or using a variable to specify the filename?

If you use a variable, you should be able to declare the variable early on to set the filename & path. Since you're trying to make this system more portable this should be something you calculate rather than hard code.

For example, if you use some kind of suffix on the filenames (company_invoices.fp7, for example) you should be able to have a field for the company part and calculate the file name for import. Stuff that into the variable and put the variable into the Add File dialog for the import step.

1 2 Previous Next