5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2012 5:34 PM by daveklingler

Random Crashes with FileMaker Go 12.0.2 running on IOS 5.0.1

Hello, everyone. I've been attempting to get a small FM db running under FMG 12.0.2/IOS 5.0.1/iPad 2, talking to FM 12.0v1 on an iMac. It hasn't been a pleasant experience so far.

Basically we have a small warehouse inventory app that doesn't do anything but take inventory. We used the FM inventory starter solution, dropped many of the fields and kept only the Inventory and Product Details layouts. Our goal was to have something that would allow us to walk through our warehouse, snapping pictures of items and giving them names and item numbers. Very simple.

But FMGo seems to fold up quite often in the midst of entering data. Sometimes it's just as we enter the layout, but sometimes it's just as I hit tab to go to the next field. Then I get to log in again and start over.

That would be bad enough, but a couple of times now after I've logged back in, I've ended up frozen in the Product Details layout with the information I'd already entered still present in a new record. I can't tab to another field, I can't exit the screen with Save Record or New Record, and the record on the screen isn't yet present in the server database. Delete Record doesn't work, so I have to wait for the thing to time out. At that point the record I just entered is all gone, so I get to type it all in again.

The desktop FM seems to be running okay. This iPad is an out-of-the-box wi-fi device, with nothing customized and nothing added other than FMGo and mail settings. It seems to have decent Wi-Fi connectivity everywhere in our warehouse. The database is served from FMP 12.0v1 running on a remote iMac, interfaced through the latest Actual Technologies ODBC adapter to a MySQL database.

Anybody have any answers or similar experiences?

Many thanks!

Dave

PS - We've worked through a few ODBC issues that could have been instantly sorted out if FM had done us the favor of displaying error messages or logging problems. As a long-time UNIX/MAC/PostgreSQL programmer, I was stunned to find that FM wasn't bothering to tell me when it had problems with the external database. It would just blithely lose sync and I'd eventually end up with a corrupt database. Please, FM folks, fix that. In this day and age, well, that should be embarassing. No logs or error messages?

• 1. Re: Random Crashes with FileMaker Go 12.0.2 running on IOS 5.0.1
          Stephen Huston

Several thoughts, depending on your iMac's  setup and various settings:

• Is your FM Server machine, the iMac, configured to never sleep and to never spin down the disk?
          • Is your FM Server set to disconnect users after a certain period?
          • Are the permissions for users within the files set to disconnect idle users after some time?
          • Are extended permissions setup for relogin in FM Go with long enough intervals in they ever leave Go?

I am assuming that you have FMServer12 running on the iMac (not just sharing files with FMPro or Advanced, or another whole range of peer-to-peer issues arises).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Random Crashes with FileMaker Go 12.0.2 running on IOS 5.0.1

Hi Stephen.  Thanks very much for your reply.

We are indeed using FMPro.  The machine is configured to never sleep.  I'm can't check right now to see whether the disk is configured never to spin down, but I expect it is not.  What issues arise with FM Pro versus FM Server?

I can say confidently that I'm not running into power saving issues.  I tried to troubleshoot the iPad today while simultaneously using the iMac.  FMGo suddenly showed me all blank records in our inventory summary screen.  I tried reloading several times and switching layouts, to no avail.  All the records stayed blank.

I've checked in the past to see what kind of granularity FMPro had wrt locking, and it seemed to do okay at a record level. 

Thanks again!

Dave

• 3. Re: Random Crashes with FileMaker Go 12.0.2 running on IOS 5.0.1
              jml

Hi Dave,

The current version of iOS is 5.1.1.  Is that just a typo in your post?  If not, install the latest iOS and see if that resolves your problem.

Also, since you've rebuilt a starter solution, I suggest you create a new and very simple FM solution file without the ODBC/MySQL for test purposes to see if the problem lies on the Mac, FMP/ODBC/MySQL, network, or FM GO.

• 4. Re: Random Crashes with FileMaker Go 12.0.2 running on IOS 5.0.1
                Stephen Huston

The main issues you will run into when doing peer-to-peer serving of files via FMPro instead are:

• Not having a dedicated server machine, so other processing on that machine, including normal user operations, will periodically take over the OS and connections, causing clients to be dropped
                • Dropping clients may result in corruption of data, incomplete data, unsaved edits from client machines. Such data problems have been known to render some or even all of the data in the data files unusable.
                • The problems above go away if you install FM Server on a dedicated server machine and use that in place of FMPro for serving your files to clients.
                • 5. Re: Random Crashes with FileMaker Go 12.0.2 running on IOS 5.0.1

Stephen Huston wrote:

The main issues you will run into when doing peer-to-peer serving of files via FMPro instead are:

• Not having a dedicated server machine, so other processing on that machine, including normal user operations, will periodically take over the OS and connections, causing clients to be dropped
                  • Dropping clients may result in corruption of data, incomplete data, unsaved edits from client machines. Such data problems have been known to render some or even all of the data in the data files unusable.
                  • The problems above go away if you install FM Server on a dedicated server machine and use that in place of FMPro for serving your files to clients.

Thank you, Stephen.  I appreciate the time you're taking to help me with this problem.

I'm looking at your list of potential drawbacks, and they scare me.  These are problems about which I used to warn people who were using System 7.  I haven't had to deal with the kinds of things you list in recent memory, not since I went to NeXTStep and OpenStep, transitioned my server farms to Unix and Linux, and eventually floated back to OS X.  Life grew sweeter then, with logs and journaling file systems.  Are these all problems you've seen recently?  FMPro does these things?  I'm getting alarmed.

This server machine sees very light and sporadic usage, certainly not enough to make it page slowly or thrash.  As a matter of fact, I don't believe we've ever used the server while we're using the iPad.

If the host were thrashing, it seems like FMGo would be using the built-in transaction journaling available on the iPad (SQLite) to cache transactions until after communications looks good again.  I'm confused by the fact that FMGo does NOT seem to be doing any such thing.  This afternoon I had only three crashes and I didn't lose too much data, but I'm surprised by the fact that the records never make it into the host MySQL database. 

I did set the machine's hard drive not to go to sleep today, as per your suggestion, but I wasn't sure I saw a difference.

Thanks very much again!

Dave Klingler