6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2012 1:39 AM by almute

Getting Runtimes to The Mac App Store

PeterWindle

I am wanting to create a run-time solution to sell on the App store (Mac OS) Has anyone ever done this ? I would like a bit of insight to what is involved, if anyone has ever done this, please contact me, thanks!

• 2. Re: Getting Runtimes to The Mac App Store
          nickorr

Peter,

Assuming you could get the app into the store, how would you handle updates?  You're storing all the data inside the app files, which will be replaced when the user upgrades to a new version.  If you could work out a way to store data in other files that you write to disk, they're inside the user's folder which you can't hardwire the path for a File Reference to.

I haven't yet seen a good solution to that issue.

Cheers,

Nick

• 3. Re: Getting Runtimes to The Mac App Store
            PeterWindle

Hello Nick, I am using a data-separation for this process.

Everything works fine as a bound solution, within it's own folder. I am hoping that when delivering it as an "app", it will be able to download an installer, I have not yet been able to confirm this. If anyone know if installers are allowed as app downloads, please let me know!

Delivering upgrades would be simply a matter of either replacing the GUI file either manually, or running another installer which will backup the original GUI file, then replace the file with the new one.

• 4. Re: Getting Runtimes to The Mac App Store
              nickorr

Peter,

Data Seperation or not, you can only do updates via the App Store.  When you do that, you'll be providing new data files as well, so how will you not overwrite them if they're contained in the app itself?

No it won't download as an installer, it's just like other apps, it will just appear by itself in the applications folder.

And you can't do updates outside the app store, or even state in the documentation that this is available.  Users will expect apps to come via the app store, that's the whole point of having it.  And each update will replace the entire application.

Cheers,

Nick

• 5. Re: Getting Runtimes to The Mac App Store
                PeterWindle

I have seen other FileMaker Bound solutions available via te app store, so if I can do the same, I am happy.

As for updates, I would need to look into what is required from Apple, however, if I can't do updates via app store, then it will be done via a website download.

• 6. Re: Getting Runtimes to The Mac App Store
                  almute

Hi,

I am selling a FileMaker runtime solution for more than 1 year now and have provided updates since. (The German version is Logbuch and the English Logbook.)

My hull app copies the database in a users folder - so updates are no problems, if the updated version uses another folder. The user later can import the data from the old database into the new one using a script I provide in the database.

But now for the next update there is a new problem: the sandboxing. At this moment I don't know how to do this without Xcode.

Almute