AnsweredAssumed Answered

Obscuring password in custom IWP login layout

Question asked by Mike_Mitchell Expert on Jun 3, 2012
Latest reply on Jun 4, 2012 by CarstenLevin

Hello again. I have an interesting issue. Working on a project intended for deployment both in FileMaker and IWP environments, using separation model to make changes to reporting easier (the client in this case is a nonprofit whose reporting needs change very frequently). Right now, my login scheme looks like this:

1) Autologin to UI file (which really means simple username / no password login over IWP).

2) Pass credentials of default account to data file.

3) Throw up custom layout asking for user's specific account information (which is stored only in data file).

4) User authenticates using global fields against account in data file.

5) System re-logs into UI file using appropriate priv set.

This works fine, except for one little irritating detail. I'm having trouble coming up with a method to obscure the password over IWP. I could do it easily in the FileMaker client via a number of methods (script triggers, custom dialog using password character, etc.). None of these works over IWP. I had changed the font to one of the "hieroglyphics" fonts (Windings), which worked for a while, but has mysteriously stopped working - the password is now being echoed out in plain text in the browsers.

The only thing I can come up with at this point is to change the color of the password field to match the background (or very close), which is deeply dissatisfying. It gives way too little feedback to the users.

Any other ideas from folks smarter than I am?

Mike

Outcomes