Do you have any OS-level sharing active on the live folders? Any other process that may be touching the files? Backups, VSS, Indexing, virus scanning,....
What do you mean by "When I go into the data manager?" Does this mean you have the file open on your client computer and that you are trying to go into the File:Manage Database menu? Or are you trying to open the file by navigating to it through a directory window? It sounds like you may be doing the latter based on your error message. If you have a file open on the server you should never try to open it directly from a client copy of FMP. The file is already open on the server and cannot be opened directly by a client. Rather, you need to access it through the File:Open Remote menu. Please provide more context for your problem.
When the files are hosted by the server you can only open them by:
- Open FileMaker Pro or Advanced on another computer (or, usually not recomended) on the server.
- Choose "Open Remote" from the "File Menu".
- Select the server and open the file(s) you want to open.
From your description, which is not very clear, I get the impression that you are trying to open a hosted file on the server it selv directly via the file in the server folder?
If my assumption is not correct, then please try explaining your situation a little bit better. Try giving us a step by step description of how/what you are doing.
And if you are actually accessing the server-hosted-file via "Open Remote", then the next step is to go into the server console. Here you should check the database list. How is the file's status: Normal?
Also, please give the following information:
- Server (OS version)?
- Client computer (OS version)?
- On which computer are you doing exactly what from?
- Consider adding screendumps of how you do and the result you get.
And what exactly is "the data manager" you mention. Is it in the File Menu-> Manage-> Database?
And what do you mean when you write "on an advanced copy"?
I mean to say Manage>>Database. It is not an option to open any databases on the server except Remotely. None of the drives can be seen by clients.
- Server: Windows Server 2008 R2
- Clients: Windows 7 Professional
- I am going into Manage>>Database and then entering the relations tab. when i am there any database that i am linked to asks for my password eventhough i am signed in and when i enter it it gives me that error.
- Filemaker Pro Advanced.
All of the databases are posted to the sever and have normal status
Does the account you are using to open ALL of the served files have Full Access, and have the correct Exptended permissions for FMP Access over the network enabled for the Full Access permissions group? It sounds like the account settings are not correct.
You also need to have IDENTICAL account name and password (case-Sensitive) in all files for this to work correctly on Server without being challenged for credentials each time you open any file.
The Account I use has full access and all of the Passwords and user names match. I didnt have this problem until i moved to Filmaker 12
What, if anything, IS different about your arrangement of files on FMS12 compared to what you used on FMS11?
Are you opening them the same way, via Open Remote?
If I understand correctly: you are switching to the relationships tab of the Manage Database dialog box and then you get prompted to log in to one or more files. As Stephen has said, this will happen if you are not logged in to the external files as a FULL ACCESS account - it has no bearing on the current file that is open.
I would check the external data sources - if these have been renamed or rebuilt across FMP versions there might be an issue with the file IDs, or the path might be specified as filewin: (when what you want for a hosted solution is simply file:filename.fp7) or it might be referencing a file on your local machine, or any of a number of different scenarios.
Summing up, please let me know if I got something wrong:
- File A and File B on the same server.
- Same account has full access in both files.
- Both files can be individually opened by "Open Remote".
- File B is referenced on the Relational Diagramme on File A.
- When opening File A and going to the relational diagramme this error message is showing up: "Database is currently in use and could not be opened. If the file is shared, you can use the Open Remote command to open the file on the network. (if you've opened the file before, check the Open Recent Menu.)"
And you also write:
I am going into Manage>>Database and then entering the relations tab. when i am there any database that i am linked to asks for my password eventhough i am signed in and when i enter it it gives me that error.
This is indeed confusing.
Question: Did you convert the two files (and other referenced files) in one go (fx by putting them in one folder and dragging this folder to the FileMaker 12 icon?
It does not sound like a file reference problem. Although you should also check the File References.
Have you tried going into one of the Table Occurances and relink to the file via a new file reference?
Remember to point to the file via Open Remote.
What result did this give?
Have you tried taking the files offline (take them from the server, put them in one single folder on your computer) and then open and see how the files behave.
What result did this give?
I manage all of the sources and would know if any of them have been changed. After i rebuilt some of the databases in 12 I created new external sources but it is till a problem.