8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2012 1:49 PM by fmpros

FMP 12 container limits

fmpros

HI all,

Does anyone yet have a feel for the limits of the FMP12 container file based storage limits?

Intuitively I would guess that there are none since folder and files structures are being used

rather than a DB file but I'm looking at potentially working with terabytes of images and am

wondering if I will run into problems as storage size / # of files grow (other than obvious disk

size limits). Thanks!

Bill O'Keefe

Frenel Solutions

• 1. Re: FMP 12 container limits
          erolst

You should definitely read this:

https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/77896#77896

• 2. Re: FMP 12 container limits
            fmpros

Thanks, I did find that after the post.  Looks like it won't be a problem, just careful planning and structure.

• 3. Re: FMP 12 container limits
              Stephen Huston

Available disk space is the real issue. As a rule of thumb, you want to have at least twice as much Disk space as you expect to need for ALL: Server OS, software, DB files, and full run of backups -- after figuring in your maximum container storage needs for that server.

• 4. Re: FMP 12 container limits
                fmpros

Thank you Stephen.  I also enjoyed your tests elucidated in the other thread about this.  I look forward to DevCon's talks regarding RC and hope more testing done and best practices produced.  As seems usual, FileMaker has given us a wonderful new functionality......almost.  But also as usual, with continued investigation, true usefulness is defined.  I sometimes wonder whether the folks as FileMaker really don't quite get what the needs are in the trenches, or they're deliberately forcing us developers to new heights with tests of veiled functionality.

• 5. Re: FMP 12 container limits
                  wimdecorte

Stephen Huston wrote:

Available disk space is the real issue. As a rule of thumb, you want to have at least twice as much Disk space as you expect to need for ALL: Server OS, software, DB files, and full run of backups -- after figuring in your maximum container storage needs for that server.

Factor into that the space needed for the progressive backups, which is twice the size of the solution + the size of any data changes inbetween progressive backup intervals.

It'a already catching some people off-guard, especially in virtualized envirnmoents where disk space is a bigger constraint than on physical servers.

• 6. Re: FMP 12 container limits
                    fmpros

Note to self.... lots of disk space.

What about having a separate image file server (this a medical app)?  Am I limited to the FMS machine due to the set internal file storage path for secure storage?  Or might this work with Open storage?

• 7. Re: FMP 12 container limits
                      wimdecorte

fmpros wrote:

What about having a separate image file server (this a medical app)? 

Nope, once the file is hosted, all remote container data will be in a subfolder of where the actual FM file is.  You can't put the RC data on another drive or server.

• 8. Re: FMP 12 container limits
                        fmpros

Thanks, I hope that there will be more on this subject as more people get into it; unfortunately I'm not in a development position to do it yet.  There are many seeming pluses to this that can greatly simplify structure and development time for me.... just waiting for the big caveat to appear