9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2012 9:23 AM by tcwaters

Setting up a OS X test boxes prior to FMSA 12 deployment

tcwaters

I'd like to set up a set of test boxes for FMSA 12 before updating our current FMSA11 boxes. I'm using the basic 2 box configuration. Problem is I dont have any extra OS X Server licenses for these two test boxes. Can I set them up using OS X (Snow Leopard) instead of OS X Server? Is there anything special I need to do to make this work?

THX!

• 1. Re: Setting up a OS X test boxes prior to FMSA 12 deployment
          Mike_Mitchell

Hello, tcwaters.

There's nothing special needed to make it work, per se. I have FMSA 12 running on my iMac. It works just fine for hosting files via FileMaker networking, IWP, and CWP. However, I guess it largely depends on what you're trying to test. Are you just trying to test FileMaker databases, or do you have other stuff that might act differently under the Server OS? I'm running a single machine deployment, but you need a two-machine deployment; how much might that affect things? I don't know.

Your level of comfort with testing under a different environment would be the thing that drives the decision, I would think. If you're cool with it, well, heck, go for it.    

HTH

Mike

• 2. Re: Setting up a OS X test boxes prior to FMSA 12 deployment
            taylorsharpe

Running on a non Mac OS X server box is fine if you are staying away from server services such as Apache for IWP or LDAP for authentication or PHP, etc.  The usual reason for a two box system is to put Apache and the web services on one box and the database on the other.  If that is the case, then, yes, you do want server versions. 

Unlimited Server versions cost $1000 in 10.5 and $500 in 10.6 and now it is only $50 upgrade in 10.7 (Lion).  Is there any reason for not upgrading to Lion servers?  The server version is much cheaper using Lion assuming your hardware supports it. 

But I will say that 10.7 Lion has half baked server tools.  They tried to make things simpler by making a new Server.app tool that does what Server Admin.app and Workgroup Manager.app did previously.  While it is simpler, it just doesn't do everything you could before and you still end up going back to the original tools or to Terminal.  I'm just hoping the 10.8 Mountain Lion Server tools are better. 

My recommendation is that you upgrade them to Mac OS X 10.7 Lion servers. 

• 3. Re: Setting up a OS X test boxes prior to FMSA 12 deployment
              tcwaters

In our productyion setting, we are using a 2 box set up.  I'd like to set up as close to that as possible to see how everything will work. I've been using Filemaker server since... I dunno v5 or somewhere back there, and the upgrade to a new version has become simpler and simpler with each version. Going from 10 to 11 was a piece of cake. So overal, I'm not worrid much. 

• 4. Re: Setting up a OS X test boxes prior to FMSA 12 deployment
                tcwaters

Yes, that is why we are using a 2 box set up.  For this test, do you think I can just turn apache on in OS X?  Thans for your comments!

In the long run we will be moving to a Windows Server now that Apple is no longer making a Xserves, but I think I have another year or two out of this hardware before that.

• 5. Re: Setting up a OS X test boxes prior to FMSA 12 deployment
                  taylorsharpe

Well, I don't know that Apache comes with the non-server version.  However,  it is a free open source program you can download if it isn't there.  I sure would pay the $50 Lioin Server upgrade to save the hassle of figuring out how to install and configure it, but that is up to you. 

Yes, too bad no more xServe.  I keep hearing rumors a screaming fast Mac Pro may be coming out... that sure would be nice for servers.  In the mean time, I've run a lot of inexpensive Mac Mini Servers with i7 processors very successfully with FileMaker.  But to get the most performance, I hook them up wit Pegasus Thunderbolt drives and RAID10 them for optimum database performance.  It is faster than my Mac Pro with CalDigit RAID and a whole lot cheaper.  But I sure hope a fast new Mac Pro comes out soon.

• 6. Re: Setting up a OS X test boxes prior to FMSA 12 deployment
                    Mike_Mitchell

Apache does come with the desktop version. It's just called Web Sharing. If you turn Web Sharing on, the Mac will host web pages and run PHP just fine.

(Just thought I'd add that.)      

Mike

• 7. Re: Setting up a OS X test boxes prior to FMSA 12 deployment
                      taylorsharpe

Thanks Mike... I wasn't sure about that since all my Macs run the Server version.  Always something new to learn!

• 8. Re: Setting up a OS X test boxes prior to FMSA 12 deployment
                        Mike_Mitchell

No problem. About a year ago, Lyndsay Howarth implanted that little gem in my brain as I was starting work on a web site away from my normal workplace.

What goes around, comes around.   

Mike

• 9. Re: Setting up a OS X test boxes prior to FMSA 12 deployment
                          tcwaters

This worked perfectly for me!  I was able to use 2 iMacs as a testing environment, and it was a piece of cake to set up.  Thanks to everyone for the comments.