8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2012 8:51 AM by LyndsayHowarth

Student-Teacher  Relationship

rlboyden

I have a table of clients. Some of the clients have a teacher student relationship. A second table captures meetings between the teachers and students. Layouts designed to display this data fail due to conflict with the key id. How do I do to fix this.

• 1. Re: Student-Teacher  Relationship
          comment

That's not a  good description, because the described setup gives no reason for any "conflict with the key id".

Let's start with a very basic question: how many teachers can one student have?

• 2. Re: Student-Teacher  Relationship
            rlboyden

THese are one to one mentoring relationships.  Occasionally a student changes his/her mentor.  But a student has only one teacher (spiritual director) at a time.

• 3. Re: Student-Teacher  Relationship
              comment

rlboyden wrote:

Occasionally a student changes his/her mentor. 

Well, then you need to decide if you need to track such history, or keep only the current setup.

---

In any case, any actual meetings that have taken place will preserve the identity of the meeting parties - so if you want to ignore a relationship that hasn't been "consumated", you may safely do so.

Message was edited by: Michael Horak

• 4. Re: Student-Teacher  Relationship
                LyndsayHowarth

Table 1 = Clients

Table 2 = Teachers

Table 3 = Join for client-teachers (assuming they have more than one teacher)

Table 4 or field in client table = Mentor

Table 5 = Mentor contacts with client to get a history

From a layout in the client table you should be able to display their mentor and all their teachers and their mentor contact-history

From the Teachers table you you should be able to display clients being Mentored and all their clients. You should also be able to show their client-mentor contact history.

I am not sure what the problem is here... Where are you getting stuck?

- Lyndsay

• 5. Re: Student-Teacher  Relationship
                  comment

I don't know about this, Lyndsay. You sound very decisive, but so far I have seen nothing that would justify more than the two tables mentioned in the original post, i.e. Clients and Meetings.

• 6. Re: Student-Teacher  Relationship
                    rlboyden

The good News! I have recreated the data entry form, the reports for the related teacher-mentor Activity table and all is working OK.  Previously when I created the reports, I was not able to display the names of the teacher and the student. 

The puzzle:  I don’t know what changed.  I recreated this in a duplicate of the live database for practical reasons and safety.  This duplicate is standalone and not operating on the network.   The only thing different is that I duplicated the client table.  However, I made no reference to it in the report or the data entry form.  So I am completely baffled.  The real test, will be tomorrow when I am at the center and apply these changes to the live database.

And Lyndsy, I considered a separate table for the teachers but it went against all I have ever been taught about databases.  There was no unique information I needed to track for teachers and would have created unnecessary duplication and clumsy scripts.  The teachers and other clients receive newsletters and information from the center. Therefore, I wanted to keep all “people” in the client database.

Thanks to both of you for your willing support.

Now I need to learn about this “portal thing” in FM.  Conceptually I understand it, but creating them has proven problematic. One step at a time.  At 72 one can still learn.  

• 7. Re: Student-Teacher  Relationship
                      rlboyden

ALLELUIA!  Updated live database and all worked well AFTER I corrected the Activity Table to use the Duplicate CLient list to reference the teachers.  ALLELUIA!  Case solved.   QUESTION:   Can I remove names from duplicate table so that in effect it becomes a Teacher Table or are these tables not independent of each other?

• 8. Re: Student-Teacher  Relationship
                        LyndsayHowarth

Good... glad you have what you want.

I agree that a "People" table is more appropriate than separating categories of people under most circumstances. There is a case, particularly in more complex systems, for separating teachers from their students.

As you will appreciate... it can be a bit hard to determine the complexity of database or the depth of developer exerience when a question is asked.

If you think about a relationship... where this from A equals this from B... a Portal is a window that can look from A into B to see the records that match because of that relationship.

HTH

It is cool that you are now learning FMP at 72. I hope you get to say one day that you have been using it as long as I have now.

- Lyndsay