5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2012 11:52 PM by davidempson

Purchase 12 but install 11

Tom_Droz

Hi all

I need to buy a new license for Filemaker. I would like to purchase FM 12 but install 11. Then if/when I updated the underlying data I want to convert my copy to 12. I understand this can be done. Do I purchase 12 then find a copy of 11, install it then use the license number form 12? When I want to move to 12 do I do a new install?

Any help from someone that has done this would be appreciated!

Thanks

Tom

• 1. Re: Purchase 12 but install 11
          PointInSpace

You would purchase 12, then contact FileMaker directly to get a

"downgrade license" for $5.

- John

Hi all

I need to buy a new license for Filemaker. I would like to purchase FM

12 but install 11. Then if/when I updated the underlying data I want to

convert my copy to 12. I understand this can be done. Do I purchase 12

then find a copy of 11, install it then use the license number form 12?

When I want to move to 12 do I do a new install?

Any help from someone that has done this would be appreciated!

Thanks

Tom

--

• 2. Re: Purchase 12 but install 11
            Tom_Droz

Thanks John

Do you then still have to do another install?  Does FM send you a link to a download?

• 3. Re: Purchase 12 but install 11
              Stephen Huston

Yes, it's an entirely separate install.

I believe FMI will treat a downgrade as an online purchase, sending you a license key and download link by email.

• 4. Re: Purchase 12 but install 11
                Lemmtech

You have to buy directly from FMI they will send you a link to download 11. You can add to an existing VLA or AVLA but I don't think you can just buy one license if you don't already have a VLA. You may have to go to ebay or something if you just want one copy of 11.

• 5. Re: Purchase 12 but install 11
                  davidempson

I recently upgraded retail FMPA 10 to FMPA 12 via online purchase from the FM Store. They sent me an e-mail with download links and a standard retail licence agreement (e.g. it permits installations on home and work computers).

I then contacted FMI to downgrade to FMPA 11, which cost me NZ$5. They sent me a similar e-mail with download links. The included licence agreement was a VLA which only allowed a single installation. I don't have any VLA apart from this.

I expect that if I had a boxed retail edition of FMPA 12 (upgrade or full install), a downgrade to FMPA 11 would have been exactly the same: a single licence VLA.