8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2012 11:10 AM by comment

Tab Panel in a Portal issue

TimGriffith

[Working with current updated version FMPA on update OS X Lion]

I had a portal with lots of fields. The portal worked properly. I organized the fields into logical groups and created a tab panel in the portal, with each panel housing the original fields from the original portal. I made sure there is ample distance from the edges of the tab panel to the parameter of the portal (and ample distance from the fields to the parameter of the tab panel). Now in browse mode I only get the first related record from the portal, and when scrolling, the portal shows empty rows scrolling up as usual, but disappearing under the first (populated) portal row. I have never tried tab panels in portal rows before this. Is this a limitation in FMPA 11? - or is there a technique someone may know to achieve functioning tab panels in portals rows. TIA

• 1. Re: Tab Panel in a Portal issue
          TimGriffith

Correction [Working with current updated FMPA 11 on updated OS X Lion]

• 2. Re: Tab Panel in a Portal issue
            TimGriffith

I have continued testing and have come to the conclusion that tab panels belong to the layout and therefore cannot belong to a portal row. Is this any different in version 12?

• 3. Re: Tab Panel in a Portal issue
              wsvp

I don't believe that tab panels will work that way in portals...  However they will work on a list of records in list view... You can set up a tab in the body part and it will change the tab in all records together... You can also have a tab in the header, body and footer, set up a trigger so if you change one tab the others will change to the selected object.

The main difference I have noticed regarding portals ( other than the new graphics options ) ... from FM11 to FM12... is that objects in a portal now stay with the portal when moving or deleting.  This is an improvement in my opinion.

• 4. Re: Tab Panel in a Portal issue
                comment

Do you really need to switch the view on a row-by-row basis?

• 5. Re: Tab Panel in a Portal issue
                  BruceHerbach

I belive that as you found out,  you really can't put Tabs in Portals.  So how about this approach.

A small single field Portal that show a field that itdentifies the record you want to see.  Say on the far left side of your layout. The field is set up as a button and script.  The script puts the record ID into a global field.   In the relationship graph, add the global field to the table you are working and setup another table occurence for the table that is global field = ID field.

Then have your three Tab panels show the data you want to see based on the fields in the new table occurence.

The user clicks the record in the Portal they want to see and then selects the Tab Panel/field set they want to see.

You can use conditional formatting to highlight the selected portal row.

HTH

Bruce

• 6. Re: Tab Panel in a Portal issue
                    wsvp

Not row by row... If you change it on one record, all the records change accordingly... But the header and footer tabs will not...  I use a script trigger so when I change the header tab it sets the body and footer accordingly...  Body tabs will change for all records if one is changed.  Think of it as 3 separate tabs.  Header, Body and Footer.

• 7. Re: Tab Panel in a Portal issue
                      TimGriffith

Your appraoch is the one I ended up using, having a simpler portal to the left, clicking on that and having the details of that portal in the three tab panel on the right. Not what I wanted, but is what worked. This added another relationship (details) to the existing 'list' relationship- and I lost the screen realestate I was hoping to keep (space for the list and now added space for the tab panel).

• 8. Re: Tab Panel in a Portal issue
                        comment

TimGriffithStL wrote:

This added another relationship (details) to the existing 'list' relationship -

You can do without the extra relationship (and the extra field as well) by using a filtered portal to show the selected record in detail.

TimGriffithStL wrote:

- and I lost the screen realestate I was hoping to keep (space for the list and now added space for the tab panel).

If this is for display only, perhaps you could use conditional formatting to display the selected group of fields in the existing portal.

1 of 1 people found this helpful