1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 8, 2012 8:59 AM by Stephen Huston

Managed Containers on Server - Alternate Locations?

DrewTenenholz

All --

Is there any way to alter the way in which FM12 deals with managed container file locations? I've read the brief from Wim Decorte & Steven Blackwell, which is accurate, but I'd like to go further.

I'm working with a commercially available solution that has been using Troi File for a long time now, and we've gotten adept at having the solution administrator specify the paths for referenced container field data. Now, we are trying to move to managed containers for both security and cross-platform compatibility. The issue we are trying to tackle is when there is not enough storage space on the same hard drive as the default FMServer database directory.

Is there any way to store the managed container data on an alternate hard drive (either physically connected or a network share)?

Is there any easy way to do this, prfreably by setting a preference field within the solution itself?

As people are moving to SSD and other types of drives, I can see how the solution itself can be loaded onto the SSD (one install is about 13GB), but the container data is going to be hard to accommodate (about 100GB and growing faster than the database contents).

Thanks,

Drew Tenenholz

• 1. Re: Managed Containers on Server - Alternate Locations?
          Stephen Huston

There are two types of container storage location possible on FM Server 12: Secure, and Open.

• Secure does not let you change or control the location -- at all.
          • Open lets you specify a location, but only relative to the database file location on the same drive, and you are responsible for designating a file structure which will not overload the image count in any one directory or your performance may degrade.

So, the short answer, at least with current versions, is: NO, you can't move server container data off-disk.