1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2012 4:41 PM by keywords

Value list bug in version 12?

PeterWindle

I am having trouble with values that are included in the 'also show values from' in value lists, whereby I am choosing to show only values from the second field.

The first value is the id number of the record, the second value is calculated text to give the user a summary of the record.

eg:

Record ID (number) calc (text)

00001 1000-23 Product A: Black

I am applying a pop up menu on the layout, which would NORMALLY would show only the values in the second field.

What I get within the pop up menu is the correct values showing in a list eg: 1000-23 Product A: Black, however, click out of the drop down list and what shows on the layout is the number 100023, it's as if the calc showing on the layout is a number result, not text!! huh?

I am dealing with a large number of records, I seem to recall a similar bug being mentioned with previous versions??

Is this a bug? Has anyone else seen this?

• 1. Re: Value list bug in version 12?
          taylorsharpe

Your calc may be a number calc.  Change it to Text.

Untitled-1.jpg

• 2. Re: Value list bug in version 12?
            PeterWindle

but, it is already text.

What's weird about this is that it appears perfect when you click on the pop-up list, but when you click out of the pop up list, it shows only the number value.

• 3. Re: Value list bug in version 12?
              taylorsharpe

FileMaker lets you put non-numeric characters in a number field, but any results will only show the numbers and ignore the non-numeric characters.  It is just how it works and this is a common problem.  Just make the change from a numeric result to a character result and it will fix your problem. 

• 4. Re: Value list bug in version 12?
                PeterWindle

BINGO! I have discovered what the problem is:

It's a layout problem.

If you have the field displayed in "General" format, it does not display the text. If it is displayed "As entered", it works perfectly.

Not sure if this is expected behaviour, as I have been developing in FileMaker Pro for MANY years and never had to do this before...?

• 5. Re: Value list bug in version 12?
                  taylorsharpe

You have used the User Interface to fix an underlying problem.  While that will work, fixing the calculation is a preferable solution.  The field is probably still a numeric calcluation field.  I recommend you confirm that if it is, you change it to a Text field. 

• 6. Re: Value list bug in version 12?
                    PeterWindle

Let me make it a little clearer:

The field that the pop-up list is applied to on the layout is a number, however, the pop-up list is using the ID fields (number), showing only values from the calculation field (text).

When the pop-up list is shown by clicking in the field, it shows the value in the drop down the calc (definitely TEXT), therefore, the calculation is working perfectly.

But once the value has been selected from the list, it shows a number only. I would think that it is because the field that the value list is applied to is a number. Fair enough, you would think...

HOWEVER, I have applied the same sort of technique in version 12 to a small amount of records, it did not seem to be a problem at all, it falls over with the table that has a lot of records. (over 1000) I did not need to make the layout change at all on other pop-up lists.

I hope this clarifies the problem, I'm just suprised at this discovery and I was hoping that other people may have experienced it, at this stage, I am not sure I can report this as a bug, or 'expected bahaviour in some circumstances'???

Take a look at the screen snap shot: -the two fields are exact copies, the one on the right I have clicked into the field, the one on the left is the field as displyed on the layout. Remember, these fields are exactly the same.

Screen Shot 2012-06-11 at 12.59.21 PM.png

It is only until I change the "Display as entered" option on the layout that the result shows correctly:

Screen Shot 2012-06-11 at 1.05.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-06-11 at 1.06.59 PM.png

Meanwhile, I have applied the same sort of technique to another ID field (number) with a text calc being used to "show only second field" and this works fine without the layout change (less records are displayed).

• 7. Re: Value list bug in version 12?
                      taylorsharpe

Sorry, but I disagree with your conclusion on paragraph two.   I bet you anything your calc field is a Number and not Text.  Calcs default to a Number field and I bet you just never changed it to text.  You won't see any problems until you look at a formatted field or a calc result because FileMaker lets you put non-numeric characters in a Number field.  However, it still treats it as a number for calcs, sorts, etc.  It does this by just ignoring the text so that "ABC90" is really just 90.  If you multiple "ABC90" X 2 you will get 180.  The calc will still work, it just ignores the text.  The behavior your explain above is exactly how FileMaker says it will handle this... it treats calc results as a number and ignores the text. 

Please prove me wrong.  Just go to Manage < Database < Fields and open up the options for the field that has this calculation.  I'm willing to bet that at the bottom left of that screen you will see  "Number" and not "Text".  If you change it to Text, then you won't have to alter formatting in your layout to correct the result.

• 8. Re: Value list bug in version 12?
                        PeterWindle

Disagree or not, I have just confirmed that the same thing occurs when the second field is a text field, not a calculation... proof enough???

• 9. Re: Value list bug in version 12?
                          christinesephton

I believe you are both right. LOL

It appears the field storing the value is a number field, however the second field (displayed) is a text value.

The only way to edit/correctly display the value, it should be corrected with the GUI.

• 10. Re: Value list bug in version 12?
                            PeterWindle

Which is fair enough, but why does it only affect larger value lists? Why have I never had this problem prior to 12?

• 11. Re: Value list bug in version 12?
                              christinesephton

It could be several things, including a corrupt index.  You can try to rebuild, compact or simply recalculate the field used (text) as the displayed item.

Christine

• 12. Re: Value list bug in version 12?
                                alistairhay

Put us all out of our misery - is the calc field defined as number or text?

• 13. Re: Value list bug in version 12?
                                  PeterWindle

I mentioned this in the thread above:

"I have just confirmed that the same thing occurs when the second field is a text field, not a calculation".

so, in summary, it does NOT matter if the second field is a calculation or not. The text did not display.

• 14. Re: Value list bug in version 12?
                                    ldbenney

Thank goodness I found this post.  I have been trying to resolve my dynamic value list issue for several days and who knows how many hours.  The dynamic values were showing up in my table with half text from the 'Also show values from second field' field and half showing the tableID from the 'Use value from first field'.  Based on Taylorsharpe's suggestion above I looked at the field the dynamic value list was based on and sure enough it was set up as a number field.  I changed it to a Text field, which didn't correct the issue immediately.  I also had to go in and remove my indexing, save and then place back the indexing..... and wah-lah! Issue resolved!  FINALLY!  Thank you Taylorsharpe!

1 2 Previous Next