2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2012 6:35 PM by Lemmtech

I would like to combine quotes(estimates), Invoices and Jobcards (similar to invoices together as one program. Is that possible ? Can A accepted quotation's portal be copied as a whole to another part(invoices)  ? Can one copy a portal ?

user17416

ca

• 1. Re: I would like to combine quotes(estimates), Invoices and Jobcards (similar to invoices together as one program. Is that possible ? Can A accepted quotation's portal be copied as a whole to another part(invoices)  ? Can one copy a portal ?
          timwhisenant

Yes, it is very possible and done several different ways.

In some cases, the quote / estimate is simply a record status and making it an invoice is just as simple as changing the data in a field called status or some such.

In other cases, it gets more complicated. Here we provide revisions of quotes and like to be able to chain them together to see the history of a quotation. Then it turns into an order (different table and line items) different but similar. I use a scripted process to copy the quote data into the order with its line items. Quantities and descriptions are subject to change as the order is confirmed and approved. Once approved an order cannot be altered, a change order must be created to modify the sale. Purchasing can or not use the data from the order without alteration. Our customers don't always use the same language as our vendors, just because they both speak english does not always mean they speak the same language.

The idea goes like this:

# 1. isolate the quote, i.e. a found set of 1

Show all Records

Omit Record

Show Omitted Records

#2. Capture Quote key field value into a variable (versions 8 and higher)

SetVariable [$id; Quote::ID]

#3. Go to Layout based on the Invoice Table (can be a totally blank layout, no fields necessary)

Goto Layout(InvoicesUtil)

Import from your quotes table, allowing the autoenters to update (your invoice id field should be set as an autoenter)

Get your Invoice ID in another variable just like #1 above

##  your parent record is now copied

#4. Goto layout based on the quote line items (again can be blank, no fields necessary)

Goto Layout(QuoteLineItemsUtil)

enter find mode

setfield( quotekey; $id)

perform find

#5. go to layout based on invoice line items

Goto Layout(InvoiceLineItems)

import from your quote line items table

SetVariable( $icount; Get(FoundCount)

loop

ExitLoopIF( Let($i = $i + 1; $i > $icount)

SetField( Invoicekey; $invoiceID)

Endloop

Goto invoice form layout

Hope the psudocode above helps you out.

Tim

Message was edited by: timwhisenant

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: I would like to combine quotes(estimates), Invoices and Jobcards (similar to invoices together as one program. Is that possible ? Can A accepted quotation's portal be copied as a whole to another part(invoices)  ? Can one copy a portal ?
            Lemmtech

Yes as Tiim set just isolate the records you need from one portal and just import them into another table and then set the key. I do it all the time. You can also do this via loops but that can take longer and is harder to set up.

1 of 1 people found this helpful