1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2012 9:33 AM by Tim_Ballering

Does FMP/FMS 12 seem slower than 11?

Tim_Ballering

As we are preparing to switch over to 12 to take advantage of the container improvements, I've read a lot of 'FMP 12 ids dog slow' things. Are many experiencing this problem? If so have you discovered why?

• 1. Re: Does FMP/FMS 12 seem slower than 11?
          Mike_Mitchell

tabrentals -

I have not experienced this myself. In fact, quite the opposite; I switched my web site over to version 12 and experienced a 3x or 4x performance boost.

Most of the folks I've seen who have experienced a performance slowdown seem to fall within this general pattern:

1) They have converted their databases from .fp7 format (i.e., they're not being built natively using 12)

2) They have reasonably complex layout designs, especially list views, especially using substantial amounts of conditional formatting.

This appears to be a result of the new CSS based layout rendering. From what I've seen, the folks who are having this issue are experiencing it regardless of whether the database is local or hosted on Server.

Not everyone is seeing this issue. I'm not, and many others are not. Many are. What I would recommend, therefore, is that you take your particular solutions, convert them, and see what happens.

HTH

Mike

• 2. Re: Does FMP/FMS 12 seem slower than 11?
            Tim_Ballering

We have switched over our files over on a test basis, without any noticeable problems.  My fear is in production, using Server, this may change.

Tim

• 3. Re: Does FMP/FMS 12 seem slower than 11?
              CarstenLevin

You write:

Mike_Mitchell wrote:

1) They have converted their databases from .fp7 format (i.e., they're not being built natively using 12)

I am not really sure about this. I would not expect a converted solution to be a problem. Could you please explain why the same solution build correctly for FileMaker 11 should be problematic when compared to the same solution build in FileMaker 12.

Best regards

Carsten

• 4. Re: Does FMP/FMS 12 seem slower than 11?
                marianco

3) Response of buttons in Print Dialog boxes is slower.  It takes 0.5-2 seconds for the buttons to respond to a mouse or key-click.

4) Using multiple windows causes scripts to run slower. The more windows open, the slower the script runs.

Yes, anything dealing with list views is slower since Filemaker Pro 12 has to do a lot more rendering and background calculations - a lot unnecessary, I think.

• 5. Re: Does FMP/FMS 12 seem slower than 11?
                  jormond

From my use of it, and others should chime in to with their experiences, the problem's are more about UI and less about user load.  FMP 12 seems to be tuned well for workload and network performance.  Obviously you need to test it in the wild and make sure.

• 6. Re: Does FMP/FMS 12 seem slower than 11?
                    Mike_Mitchell

Carsten -

I don't expect it, and have not experienced it myself. I merely report what others have reported experiencing.

Mike

• 7. Re: Does FMP/FMS 12 seem slower than 11?
                      CarstenLevin

Hi Mike,

Mike_Mitchell wrote:

Carsten -

I don't expect it, and have not experienced it myself. I merely report what others have reported experiencing.

Mike

This is an important issue. But since scripting model, relational model and everything else of the structure is still unchanged from 11 to 12 it is a crucial issue.

Please help me understand this. Could you direct me to those reports telling that the same solution converted from 11 will be slower than the same solution coded in 12.

Best regards

Carsten

• 8. Re: Does FMP/FMS 12 seem slower than 11?
                        Mike_Mitchell

Sure, Carsten. Here's one thread:

https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/81629

There are others as well. But, as I said, I have not experienced these issues.

Mike

• 9. Re: Does FMP/FMS 12 seem slower than 11?
                          Mike_Mitchell

Second Josh's suggestion. A lot of the work in 12 went into Server - going to 64 bit, moving high-demand tasks onto the server instead of the client (meaning reduced bandwidth), the new CSS rendering (again, reduced bandwidth). My experience is that Server has been dramatically improved and its performance is quite noticeably better than 11.

Mike

• 10. Re: Does FMP/FMS 12 seem slower than 11?
                            CarstenLevin

Hi Mike and others,

It is a very interesting thread Mike is linking to and I have been following it with great interest for some time.

But the conclusions in this thread are - if I understand them correctly - that it is some methods (conditional formatting and others) when used in FileMaker 12 will cause the performance issues. The conclusions are ot whether the file is converted from FileMaker 11 to 12 or created in FileMaker 12. And the same functionality is still valid and unchanged in FileMaker 12 - exept for the performance.

In some cases it will, for now, be worth considering changing those layout details if they are causing problems in your specific solution. And then expect FileMaker to solve it - hopefully very soon.

Best regards

Carsten

• 11. Re: Does FMP/FMS 12 seem slower than 11?
                              Mike_Mitchell

Okay, maybe I'm reading it wrong. Anyway, advice is valid:

Test it and see what happens with your particular solution.   

• 12. Re: Does FMP/FMS 12 seem slower than 11?
                                jormond

Carsten,

The results have been a little inconsistent.  Which I assume that's why there hasn't been a fix released yet.  I'm sure it's much more complicated to pinpoint the problem than any of us have discussed.

Converted file or not...there is a performance hit with certain types of UI objects/features. Conditional formatting is just one of the things that amplifies the problem you may have. 

• I have some files which fly in 11...and are painfully slow in 12 (straight conversion).
                                • I have some files I cleaned up after conversion...and they perform as fast or faster than they did in 11.
                                • I have some file built native in 12 that fly.  And some files built in 12 that drag during data entry and certain scripts.

I've done a bunch of tests trying to pinpoint the problem...but it seems each aspect of the performance hit is compounded by other things.  Almost like certain features affect other features more...and sometimes only affect other performance when you have a certain number of that object/formatting.  I don't envy the engineers trying to solve the problems.  I've heard good things ( from multiple sources ) about some issues getting addressed.  So I'm content with waiting on FMI to get it fixed right, instead of just pushing out a band-aide in a hurry.

• 13. Re: Does FMP/FMS 12 seem slower than 11?
                                  Lemmtech

The solutions I have converted do seem slower some more so then others. It's doesn't make the solutions unusable per se it just "feels" slower then in 11 rather then the hoped for "wow 12 is so much faster" reaction we were all hoping for. As to they reasons there are many theories and I don't think there is a single answer if it was that simple it probably wouldn't have been a problem in the first place. We all just have to be patient until the first v rev comes out to see if it address any of the performance issues.

• 14. Re: Does FMP/FMS 12 seem slower than 11?
                                    NKK

Yes, FM12 is considerably slower than FM11.

Conditional formatting slow FM12.

Lists with conditional formatting is extremely slow.

I deeply regret the change from FM11 to FM12.

1 2 Previous Next