14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2014 5:59 AM by BowdenData

URL in Email to Open Remote DB not Clickable

user17418

I have the URL and I know how to email, but I can't seem to make the method user friendly for my users.

What I would like:

Filemaker Pro sends out an email to a user using SMTP. The user opens the email and clicks on the link in the email. FileMaker Pro launches and the file opens.

What happens:

Filemaker Pro sends out an email to a user using SMTP. The user opens the email and sees the link in the email. The User cannot click on the link as the email program doesn't recognize fmp://host/db as a clickable link.

What can I do to make it so the user doesn't have to select the "link", copy it, switch to a Browser, paste, hit return - then FileMaker will open.

How does this work on an iPad?

Thanks

Zorba

• 1. Re: URL in Email to Open Remote DB not Clickable
          databuzz

Hi Zorba,

I suspect this is an issue with the email client you're using and whether it recognises the FMP URL's - I've had similar issues getting these links to be "clickable" in some email applications. For example if you use Apple's Mail.app the links are clickable - same on the iPad/iPhone the links are clickable and will open FileMaker Go 12.

However some email clients - I've seen this with Outlook for Mac - don't make these FMP URL's clickable. As I understand it in the case of Outlook for Mac it's a security issue and it only recognises certain URLs (such as HTTP). I'm not sure what email client's are involved in your testing but you might need to raise this with the developer of the email client to see if they can add support for the FMP URLs. This was also an issue with the previous FMP7 protocol.

HTH,

Andrew

FileMaker 8/9/10/11 Certified Developer

Databuzz

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Phone: +61 2 9484 6565

Mobile: +61 418 468 103

Email: andrew@databuzz.com.au

http://www.databuzz.com.au

• 2. Re: URL in Email to Open Remote DB not Clickable
            karendweaver

Hi Zorba

Why don't you use the send snapshot link to email instead of a url?  That is what it is for.  I have a help/feature request button that sends me a snapshot link of the users layout, found set, and current active record as an attachment to their help request, so I can see the example of what they are asking.  Works great cross platform, no problems with opening as long as I am connected to the local host, usually vpn.

Karen

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: URL in Email to Open Remote DB not Clickable
              databuzz

Hi Karen,

The FMP URL in v12 does have a number of different use cases, and the ability to perform a script and pass in parameters and variables makes it particularly attractive. The fact that it's also "clickable" (though not in all email clients) and doesn't need to be downloaded makes it particularly easy to implement in CWP solutions where I've started using it a lot.

Snapshot links are also a very useful tool but not always a direct replacement for a clickable FMP URL.

Cheers,

Andrew

• 4. Re: URL in Email to Open Remote DB not Clickable
                karendweaver

True - but Zorba was asking for a way to send an email with a clickable link that would open the file.  Snapshot link will do that for him, while the FMP URL doesn't work with all email clients. And it is also scriptable, of course.

If he has a specific need for the FMP URL that he can't accomplish with the snapshot link, then he can continue try to find a way to make the email client work (although if he needs the email developer to make a change to the software, that may take more time than he can wait).  If he doesn't have to use the URL and he can use the snapshot link, then that is the simplest solution to avoid the problem.

Right now - he hasn't told us enough about his requirements for this function to make that assessment.  So, the question I asked was, why doesn't he use the snapshot link?

Karen

• 5. Re: URL in Email to Open Remote DB not Clickable
                  johan

Have you tried using a tinyurl-kind of service to wrap your fmp:// link inside a http:// wrapper?

The http:// link is opened in the user's default web browser and then immediately redirected to the FileMaker application with your fmp:// link.

I have not tried this on FileMaker Go, but it works fine on FMPro.

Regards,

johan

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: URL in Email to Open Remote DB not Clickable

I don't believe the issue you are having is related to your mail application but really how FileMaker uses SMTP to send the email.  Emails out of FileMaker are text emails, not HTML.  I believe the email format would need to be HTML in order to embed the address as a URL. 

Until FileMaker gives us this option, i think the snapshot is your only hope.

• 7. Re: URL in Email to Open Remote DB not Clickable
                      patrickdfox

Hi Zorba:

Enclose the URL within angle brackets, like this:

<fmp://host/db>

The email recipient will receive it as a clickable link.

Patrick

• 8. Re: URL in Email to Open Remote DB not Clickable
                        user17418

Thank you all for your advice.

More details on what I am looking for:

We have a Filemaker server with employees running filemaker pro 12. They use FMP to access DBs in order to approve and edit records. Each record has different stages and approvals are required at some point. So one employee will enter data into a record, then a group of employees will be notified that a record needs their approval.

I have chosen to have a script send out an email telling the other employees about the record that needs their approval. To make things easier, I wanted to add a URL in the email so they could just click the link and FMP would open and then open the appropriate database on the server. They would then review the record and click approve. (this is why a snapshot doesn't work, they need to edit the live record)

The Tiny URL solutions looks good but could have some management problems as I would need to make a TINY URL for every database I have and or will create. Also, the link isn't that imformative. But that does give me the user experience of a clickable link. A similar solution would be to add entries into our internal DNS.

The brackets around the link <>, didn't work with Outlook. It is the fact that FMP still sends out a text email and Outlook doesn't think that fmp://xxx is a link, brackets or no brackets.

So going down my chosen solution and accepting the constraints, if I could get Outlook to recognize fmp:// like it does http:// then I might have solution.

What do you think is my best route?

Thanks again.

Zorba

• 9. Re: URL in Email to Open Remote DB not Clickable
                          karendweaver

Still not sure what your problem is with the snapshot link.  You certainly can edit the live record this way.  I suspect you haven't tested this option?  You may want to try it before assuming it doesn't work.

• 10. Re: URL in Email to Open Remote DB not Clickable
                            PalmDBS

If you don't want to continually recreate tinyurls, you could create a single redirect page on your server and pass the database parameters to it.

For example, create a page called fmp.asp with the following content and upload to your web server:

<%

Response.Redirect "fmp://" & Request.QueryString

%>

and then a link to

http://www.cadwell.com/fmp.asp?host/db

will forward to:

fmp://host/db

• 11. Re: URL in Email to Open Remote DB not Clickable
                              targetadmin

I think FileMaker needs to register fmp as a true URI Scheme for it to work as desired. I have the same issue.

The problem with snapshot links are they need to be downloaded and it requires extra clicks and keystrokes to work. The urls, if they worked, are more efficient.

PalmDBS suggestion above works except you have have other parameters to send like script steps and parameters.

I don't know a lot of PHP but I converted PalmDBS .asp code to a PHP file and it will open the database but stops there. It will not run the script or send the parameters.

I understand why Zorba is trying to do this and I wish it would work as well.

• 12. Re: URL in Email to Open Remote DB not Clickable
                                PalmDBS

What does your PHP look like?  I only created ASP because the OP stated There's no reason that the entire URL needed to trigger your script can't be passed via a redirect - there may be a different issue going on altogether.  Happy to review offline if you don't want to post it.  Solutions@PalmDBS.com

• 13. Re: URL in Email to Open Remote DB not Clickable
                                  targetadmin

I got it working.  I needed to add the "$_SERVER['QUERY_STRING']" to get it to not just activate filemaker but read the params.

Your tip was the only useful post on this thread about how to accomplish this. It is too bad the fmp URI can't be handled by more email clients because it is very powerful. Now I wish I could get the blank browser window to close by itself.

Here is the url...

server1.domain.com/fmp/fmp.php?host/db?script=script_name&param=recordID

<?php

header('Location: fmp://' .$_SERVER['QUERY_STRING']);

?>

• 14. Re: URL in Email to Open Remote DB not Clickable
                                    BowdenData

Don't quote me on this, but some time ago, the idea of the browser web page sticking around came up. One of the guys in the conversation said that he thought that some javascript code could be included in the web page code that would set a self-timer to close the window after "x" number of seconds. It might be worth your while to do some searching on this subject.

Doug