3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2012 8:17 PM by databuzz

Finding device type in IWP

janetschutte

Hi,

I'm setting up a demo application that a user can access with IWP either via their desktop or with an iPhone or iPad. I have separate layouts to use depending on how they are accessing the file. I'm having trouble determining the device. I'm using FM10, so any new features in FM12 won't help me at this point. I've tried using the various get commands for finding screenheight, windowcontentheight and windowdesktopheight, without any success. Is there a method I can use that will determine the device? The iPad size is not critical, but I do need to know the difference between a user accessing with their phone vs a desktop computer.

Thanks,

Janet

• 1. Re: Finding device type in IWP
          databuzz

Hi Janet,

Have a look at the Get(ApplicationVersion) function - you can use this to determine the type of client accessing the file, e.g. Pro, Server, Web Publishing, Go, Go_iPad etc.

HTH,

Andrew

FileMaker 8/9/10/11 Certified Developer

Databuzz

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Phone: +61 2 9484 6565

Mobile: +61 418 468 103

Email: andrew@databuzz.com.au

http://www.databuzz.com.au

• 2. Re: Finding device type in IWP
            janetschutte

Hi Andrew,

I do use get (applicationversion) to determine the difference between access with filemaker go or pro, for example. However, using a desktop browser to access the iwp application or using an iphone to access the iwp application will both return "web" as the result. I believe I need a different method to determine which type of device is accessing via the web.

Thanks,

Janet

• 3. Re: Finding device type in IWP
              databuzz

Sorry Janet I misunderstood your question. Determining the type of client that any IWP user is coming from will be challenging. With control over the web server you would normally look to the User Agent String for details on the type of client/browser, but you can't get to this information from within an IWP session as far as I know (you could do this with CWP).

I'll let you know if I think of anything but right now I can't see how you can determine the type of client for an IWP user.

Andrew