1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 14, 2012 4:04 PM by ch0c0halic

Support is not allowed to do screen sharing?

kmtenor

I finally gave in tonight and called support for an issue we are having getting the JDBC driver to work with our databases. After a very pleasant start to the conversation, where they actually took real information from me before asking for my credit card number, we proceeded to begin troubleshooting.

About 10 minutes in, I realized tht the support rep had not invited me to use a GoTo Support session or similar screen-sharing service. As he was trying to walk me through some of the steps that were required for our troubleshooting, I offered to turn on my copy of GoTo Meeting and invite him so he could see my screen, so we could work more efficiently. He told me that doing so would not be allowed, and that there was no way sharing my screen was going to happen.

<rant>

Is it just me, or does this sound ridiculous to anyone else? Have others had similar experiences? Shouldn't support reps, in the interest of time and efficiency, be allowed to share screens if the customer says its okay to do so? I have allowed dodger companies than Filemaker to have access to my system (probably against my better judgement).

Perhaps if we make a big enough thread about this, someone will take notice at Filemaker and change the policy. As a developer, when I finally have gotten to the point where I call support, I expect support to be up to date - not functioning like it's 1999.

</rant>

-Kevin

• 1. Re: Support is not allowed to do screen sharing?
          ch0c0halic

Kevin may not have a leg to stand on,

My personal opinion is its not ridiculous. In our litigious society its more of a necessity.

The basic desire for efficiency must be weighed against the potential or perceived - invasion of privacy, potential to see or access personal information, and the potential for litigation from someone actually damaged by a computer break in that blames it on the FMI tech support agent.

Large companies with deep pockets have to beware of people that would like to dip into them.