2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2012 11:15 PM by thewoz

CSV import in FM, Windows vs Mac

greg.b

I have a CSV file that I'm using to bring data in from some other software into Filemaker. This works fine on my mac.

When I run the same solution in FMP on a windows machine, the commas aren't recognized as separators and the entire "row" is brought is as a single "field".

The carriage returns are recognized on both platforms.

The text code UTF-8 format.

Is there some thing I'm missing?

thanks in advance for any advice.

Greg Bloxham

• 1. Re: CSV import in FM, Windows vs Mac
          taylorsharpe

I don't have an answer for you, but I have noticed something interesting.  Usually when you have CSV values, the text fields are enclosed by double quotes and not single quotes.  Do you know why yours have single quotes?  I wonder if you did a Find and Replace for single quotes to Double Quotes, if the import works. 

• 2. Re: CSV import in FM, Windows vs Mac
            thewoz

I can import this file without a problem on my Windows box. The commas are recorgnized and the data is imported into 8 separate fields but the single quotes are included with each data value. It's not clear why you are experiencing a problem. Are you sure that you are specifying that you are importing a csv file?

Another example of relatively inflexible import/export options in FileMaker. I wish they would put a more robust interface on the import/export options that would allow the user to specify the field delimitter and whether single or double quotes are used. Come on, this is basic stuff.